1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

98 es 2.5 more trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:28 AM
pcw200469
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 es 2.5 more trans problems

hi my names patrick. i just bought a 1998 avenger es automatic. my friend owned the car and he was driving down the interstate when the transmisssion started slipping. he drove it home and tried to put it in geer and nothing happened well finally it went into geer and he drove it a while and it started slipping hard so he parked it and it wouldnt move after. i bought the car from him and unhooked the battery and the car drove fine until i stopped then it started slipping when taking off. so i unhooked the battery again and left it set then it drove fine again till i stopped. so concluding what i know it slips when heated up then throw the computer off after wards and makes it act funny.

im wonder if you all have any ideas because i dont think it would need rebuilt i think its something minor. so do u all have any ideas to start with om gonna change the tranny fluid but if that dont help what next?

Old 09-07-2006, 06:06 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: 98 es 2.5 more trans problems

Hi Patrick and welcome to DF.
Sounds to me like the transmission fluid needs to be purged and refilled with MOPAR ATF+3 transmission fluid.
The tranny fluid is slipping because the it's getting really thin when heat is applied...which is always.
Get it flushed at the dealers and don't use shops that don't use MOPAR ATF+3. It'll be worth it in the long run since the car is yours now and you'll probably want to keep it for awhile.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:58 PM
pcw200469

i have yet to change the fluid but i picked it up yesterday and it started making a squelling noice and slipping hard and reseting the computer dont work as well now and some times it will not make the racheting noice when put in gear and wont engage some people think its the Transmission Control Solenoid what do you all think?

Old 09-13-2006, 12:25 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Swap around the relays on the firewall...there's 3 or 4 of them, just swap them around and try it again. They are the same and they don't have any particular job, they just function as relays for whatever they are connected to.

Quick Reply: 98 es 2.5 more trans problems