1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Cruise Control Does Not Work!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 04:29 AM
IanNoga
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Does Not Work!

My cruise control does not work. I need some help, the light comes on but when I set it nothing happens. Cruise appears next to my speedometer but it simply does not set. I also can not find the cruise control fuse. Does anyone have a clue?

Old 10-21-2006, 08:18 PM
lynster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cruise Control Does Not Work!

I had a simular problem, but my cruise light would not come on at all, and, when my cruise system falied, the instruments also shut down. It appears they share a common fuse. I bought a Haynes manual, found the cruise wiring and went looking for the engage relay. I finally found it. The plastic mount for the relay had broken and the rlay itself was actaully stuck in-between the belt and pully of the alternator. After getting it out of there (the ribs on the alternator wore slots through the relay case causing a short and cut two of the wires) and repairing the connections, my instruments no longer took a regular dump (i carried a box of fuses with me) but my cruise still did not work. It appears the short caused by the damaged relay case burned out the contacts on the main cruise on/off switch on the top left side of the dash. Right now, I've got the switch removed and a jumper installed on the connector..... voila, cruise works now. Just need to find a sub-min relay to fix the switch.

Strange that your cruise light comes on, but the cruise is not actually engaged. When you tap the brake pedal, does the cruise light turn off?
It may be worthwhile to check the linkage cable that runs from the cruise speed assy to the throttle body and ensure it's connected.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Does Not Work!