1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

WARNING! DUMB QUESTION ALERT

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING! DUMB QUESTION ALERT

How do u get the trans fluid in are cars. I heard that there were 2 plugs like on a differential. One on top to fill it and one on bottom to drain it. I had 3 people look at my trans including myself and all we found was the drain plug so we think. The screw at the bottom of the car towards the front of the trans. I just trying to save a couple bucks don't want to buy that Haynes or whatever book just yet.

Question 2 what does all this mean: Mopar MS9417 MTX Fluid P/N 4773167. I heard theres differnt types of tranny fluid like synchromesh and sum use regular motor oil. I know that Manual Trans is (M.T) but what does the "X" stand for, and that P/N? I got it straight from the car owner manual. I got some of that royal purple trans fluid there were only 2 kinds at the store grab the one that siad long lifespan or sum bulls^!T like that. Asked the shop teacher he said it "should" work.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:06 AM
bgm
Default RE: WARNING! DUMB QUESTION ALERT

P/N i can only assume is part number my friend. You may want to step up to mopar ATF+4 fluid if you decide to flush, otherwise +3 should do. i would'nt use anything other than MOPAR fluid, as from what i know our tranny's are weak, and if it's manufacturer spec'd then i wouldn't deviate from that. as far as where the tranny fluid goes. pull you're transmission dip stick and pour it in. don't go crazy, because with the oil still running down, it can cause confusion in getting the levels right, which is another reason to get the manual. the drain plug is on the transmission and although ive personally never looked, and don't want to give you misleading information, i can only assume you found the right one. on some car's it's not a standard bolt, just a plug with the notch for your 3/8" drive socket to pop into and loosen. as far as the haynes, only thing i can say is it's not a waste of money if it'll save you more than it costs. look into buying one, or at least seeing if a local library has one in stock.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:34 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Hey Pappi, I believe you have a manual correct? If so, then you can actually use just about any fluid out there. Royal Purple is a good fluid to use.
If it is an auto tranny though, I would stick to MOPAR ATF+3 like BGM suggested because of what he stated also.
"MTX"=manual transmission and "ATX"=autmatic transmission
Plugs on a manual are most commonly setup like so...Bottom bolt (big one and out of the norm) is the drain bolt, the bolt that faces the front is the filler bolt. That's also the bolt that you remove to check for fluid levels. An auto has a dipstick...that's the only good thing about an automatic tranny IMO, lol.
That P/N=part number is the fluid part number if you decide to go with MOPAR fluid, that's the number on their bottles.
I would also do the library thing and check out their automotive manual as BGM suggests...good call BGM
Also, manual tranny weight is 75W90. I have BG Syncromesh in mine right now, which will be drained in favor for Redline 75W90+Redline Shockproof fluid

Old 10-22-2006, 02:58 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

My B. I forgot to specify I drive a 96' Dodge Avenger ES 5-speed. I'm use to Automatic Trans with the dipstick and 16 or so bolts at the bottom pan. Yeah I remeber seeing somewhere else that I should stick with mopar but I wanted to get something better long lasting wise. The trans fluid I have now doesn't specify on the weight I got a picture of it.

Can you specify more on the drain plug? When I lifted up the car it was the trans was on the left of the engine there where bolts that I could tell connected the engine to the trans then there was one that was away from all of the more towards the right side and near the bottom. (drain plug), now the fill plug do I have to drop the car back down and look under the hood or what. I think I located it under a bunch of wires. If I just had more time to fiddle around with her I wouldn't have so many questions.

Also I was wondering when you driving do u hear the transmission when your driving with the windows down? I know that ratching sound is me shifting but there is another that gets faster when I accelerate and slow when I decelerate. Like... something rattling up and down inside the case. I know some1 who does rebuilds for a living charge me only $400 for parts and labor it spends more time taking the trans out of the car than rebuilding it wondering if I its too early to hit him up on my cell, I don't want to change the fluid the couple weeks later have him dump it for a rebuild.

[IMG]local://upfiles/40445/41FD3D20A1BE4BFE8C7738DE19436DA7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/40445/17F5DE86AFCA4556874626A61EECBFE0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-23-2006, 10:12 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

Old 10-23-2006, 10:16 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Give me a bit Pappi and I'll post to this. I just got busy

Old 10-23-2006, 11:14 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

I aint rushing you personally or any1 I was trying to keep this at the top of the post. Cause right now I can't afford not to be without a wip cuz its gettin cold.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:25 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Ok, Pappi, you're confusing me with the automatic inserts there.
You have an I4 5 speed from what I see in your past posts, you will be fine with that RP gear oil as long as that is for transmissions and not transfer cases or rear differentials. The latter two need thicker fluid and the tranny does not. That syncromax is thinner than 75w90 gear oil So, you're good to go on that.
As for the drain and fill plugs...
The fill plug looks like, according to a picture out of my service manual, it's where the tranny bolts up the motor, that vertical piece where the bolts that connect the tranny to the motor are, it should be the oddball looking bolt. It looks like the bolt is on the vertical part and towards the back, closer to the firewall. The drain bolt is the one sitting by itself and faces diagonally down, it's not facing straight down, but it's facing diagonally down and to the right of the shift fork.
Man, I hope I didn't just confuse you, lol. I would suggest looking under there again and that might help you find it easier, lol.

Quick Reply: WARNING! DUMB QUESTION ALERT