1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Front Right Lower Control Arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Avenger901
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Right Lower Control Arm

Last saturday I went and got me some new tires for my avenger. When I came back to pick up my car the guy said my front right lower control arm is broken. Now he told me today that there is a back order on this part. Has anyone else heard about the back order? And does anyone have a price for it?

Old 10-23-2006, 08:01 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker
Default RE: Front Right Lower Control Arm

Its either the right or the left ball Joint that you can get replaced for free from the dealership because its a recalled part. There is another post that talks about this. I thinks its under "Recalled Ball-Joint" If that doesn't help hit up the post again and someone will help u out.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:42 PM
josef15111
Veteran

hey my front right ball joint just broke and fell the fudge out of socket.. My car is at the delar right now waiting on a new rim an tire i should get tomorrow and they never told me anything about a back order on the parts.. i would suggest getting it fixed and not driving it it will mess your ride up bad if it brakes

Old 10-23-2006, 09:53 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Backordered parts are normal, it's not a nationwide thing usually. Is the work being done at a local garage or at the dealership? The lower control arm balljoints (either side are recalled) are what is really being recalled, but since it's cost effective to remove the balljoint and press a new one in, the whole control arm is replaced instead.
How did your control arm get broken anyhow? Did you run over something? They don't normally break on their own while sitting in a shop. A broken one is kind of hard not to notice. How come they just noticed it now?

Old 10-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Avenger901

I have no idea why they just now noticed it. and no i didnt run over nuthin. one thing tho i called dodge and asked them has the car been in to get the replacement balljoints put on. they said yes. If thats the case what happened? and silver they eill have to replace the whole lower arm or just the balljoints. The guy at the shop said the arm

Old 10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Avenger901

Im goin to do what u did silver and call chrysler.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:09 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Most of the time the whole arm is replaced instead of just the balljoint. I also don't think that the balljoint on this particular part can be removed, I think it's cast or molded into/onto the arm, don't quote me on that though.
For the recall to have been done, the balljoints boot will have a tear, grease oozing out of the boot, dry rotted boot, or anything similar to that. Basically, the metal part that pivots on the arm side needs that grease to function properly and without that grease or if it's been contaminated by dirt, it will prematurely wear it out and the joint will literally pop out. The arms are fairly inexpensive though, I think I priced them at about $45.
The balljoint is the recall but the entire arm is replaced, if DCX agrees to replace it, they will refund you the price of the arm and labor because it is free from the dealership (free to the customer, but DCX pays the individual dealership). Definitely call DCX and give it a try. The recall is for the life of the vehicle btw and not a one time deal, don't let them tell you any different. That is unless the design of the arm was revised in some way, which isn't very cost effective for an old car that's no longer in production, so I doubt that it's a one time deal.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Avenger901

I got off the phone with chrysler. i told them what was goin on and they told me about havin the part replaced and ect. so she calls the dealership that im goin to take my car to on three way. now they were sayin that they have to run a test on the car to see if thats the problem. If its not the lower control arm they said i will have to pay for the test which is $96. now if it is the lower control arm the recall pays for it. the guy who told me it was the lower control arm tht was broken. If he was wrong about it and i have to pay for the test im goin to be pi**ed. the place i took my car to was firestone to get my new tires put on. Now they shouldnt be wrong about it

Old 10-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Avenger901

I had the car since jan. of this year. all i kno is that when i hit a bump the front right end of the car rattles. I didnt kno what it was. somebody told me it was my shock. I didnt believe it

Quick Reply: Front Right Lower Control Arm