1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Lower control arm recall info

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:04 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower control arm recall info

I thought I had already posted this info before but I guess not.
ORIGINAL: LXiRacer

Chrysler has put out a recall on all 95-00 Sebrings (coupes only) and Avengers for their ball joints and lower control arms.

If you haven't done so, GET THIS CHECKED OUT. In extreme cases, people have lost steering in their car or even lost a wheel while driving.

Facts:

1) The ball joint recall covers ALL YEARS of avengers and sebrings (coupe sebring, not convertible.)

2) The recall covers the ball joints and front lower control arms.

3) The recall covers the parts FOR THE LIFE OF THE CAR. Don't let the dealer pull the whole "the recall was already performed" crap. If the dealer tries this, call the Chrysler recall center (info below).

4) Some dealers will service the recall by 'repacking' the ball joints. Push them to replace the joint, as this 'repacking' WILL eventually fail.

5) If you need to, call the Chysler recall center (like I had to). Have your VIN number ready. They were very helpful & assured me that the recall was for the life of the vehicle (which the dealer told me was BS). They can also get on the dealer's *** if they refuse to do the work (which they did for me).

Here's contact info for the Recall center:

Contact Us by Telephone
1-800-853-1403
M-F 8:00AM - 8:00PM (EST)

Contact Us by Mail:
DaimlerChrysler
P.O. Box 610207
Port Huron, MI 48061-0207

Oh, and BTW, symptoms of a bad ball joint vary. I experienced a "creeeek" coming from my passenger side sometimes (no, not all the time). It almost sounded like someone sitting on an old mattress. I go new ball joints AND lower control arms out of the deal.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Warder

Dang, I wish I would've seen this sooner. Would've saved me $500 and a huge headache. Last December my girlfriend was driving my 95 Avenger and the lower control arm went out along with the axle. Fortunately she was going pretty slow and no one got hurt.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:20 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call the # they have been known to REFUND $$$ as it is a recall

Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Avenger96
Default thanx

thanx for the info... I hear a creecking noise from my drivers side front tire and lately it's been shaking uncontrollably once I pass 70 mph I was in the process of saving $$$ to pay a mechanic... so seriously, I appreciate the info bro.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:43 PM
dan6279
Unhappy Recall not for life

I just got off the phone with the dodge recall center and they said this was a one time only recall. If you've had the work done once they won't do it again. Sorry to ruin it for some of you. If you don't believe me call them and give em your last 8 of the VIN. They'll be happy to tell you. Man now I need to find lower control arms for my 95 Avenger.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:33 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny I've had 100's of other people get 2nd even 3rd sets no troubles except for Canada (no idea why there) I'm on my second replaced set on mine ... I did have to call and complain saying how the recall set only lasted 20k miles ...

Old 01-08-2010, 02:12 PM
heyttsguy

For those of you that can't get the recall work done, it's not that hard to do. Each control arm only costs about $65.00. It's 2 bolts and the ball joint nut that have to be removed to get it off. The only special tool you need is a ball joint fork to break it loose. Takes about 30min if you know what you're doing. Just did one on my car.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM
heyttsguy

FYI the new one seemed to be made a little different than the old one, maybe they re-engineered it and fixed the problem.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:56 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

I had an Avenger with bad ball joints and took it to the local Jeep dealer (they are closer and have a smoking hot parts gal) they said it had been done 40,000 miles earlier. They confirmed the joints were bad and replaced them again under the recal.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:57 PM
blkvenge

First i would like to say thanks for all the info silvercoupe i have been reading this site since i got my avenger in 07 i have a 97 v6 only thing still stock is the motor mounts at this point. But I am having a hard time with my recall i got the pass side done in jan 09 I still have my receipt where it says lifetime recall 867 and faxed it to Chrysler and some jerk at a dealer said it can only be done once im in a bitter battle as the Chrysler rep wont return my call.

Quick Reply: Lower control arm recall info