1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

New Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:40 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch?

First off 96' Es 5-speed 2.0

How do you know when your clutch is slipping with these cars. I heard if your on a hill and put it into gear and if she rolls its slipping. I can't tell if it is lack of power or what. They guy I bought it off of said he just replaced it at 134,000 she almost at 140,000. The reason y Im askin is cause I drove a friends 2002 Neon sumthin it wasn't the SRT-4 but her first gear really had sum pull to it, even with her bad motor mounts and I know the trannys are different but @ 3,000rmps i my car is @ 59Mph and 3,500rmps @65, in her car 3,000rpms @ 70MPH and 3,5000@ 79MPH. Also when im at a dead stop and I floor my car seems like she is choaking at first then gradually starts to move her neon it atleast moves until around 2,6000rmps then she'll pull. I took in fack that she has a lighter car and prolly different trans gearing but DAMN my wip should not be this bad.

Also I know bout how the engine and clutch work but I can't wrap my mind around whats going on with the pedal to the floor. In my mind with the pedal to the floor and mess load of gas and air is dumped into each cylinder at the correct time Forcing each piston down hard causing the crank to move faster. Now if all that is happening y I don't feel it, its like the PC in the car is saying even though he wants full throttle we aint giving it to him untill around 3,000rpms. So I tried dropping the clutch on her at 3,000rpms yeah that was dumb she didn't like that. There was that loud bang like the motor wanted to jump out of the subframe and she dropped all the way back down to 2,300rmps not tire skidding no pull.

So I already know first off I got to get a cat back exhaust and CAI, I head too soild motor mounts help but you'll fell your engine through the body, and a new racing clutch but I in tracffic they are a PAIN. Is there anything else besides the turbo that will help? I don't care if you don't know but any suggestions would help.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:41 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: New Clutch?

Another good way to tell if your clutch is slipping is to do a 3rd gear pull...do your normal 1st gear take off then instead of putting it in 2nd, just put it into 3rd. If the RPMs go up while the speed is the same or has just a very gradual increas....you need a new clutch.
Any aftermarket clutch will work, you don't need a race clutch, any aftermarket replacement will engage tightly, but the clutch pressure won't make your left leg bigger than the right, lol. Don't forget to get your flywheel resurfaced too. Start there for the clutch.
To get your motor to be like it was new...I would try cleaning the motor of carbon deposits, get a new EGR valve, maybe a new EGR canister, definitely clean out the intake manifold, make your RAM air intake (if you have one) into a CAI by getting longer tubing to go down farther so that it's not injesting hot engine air, replace your o2 sensors, plugs, wires. Those are just some ideas to get your motor back to "new" running standards. There's a lot more than those of course, but they'll get you started.
I would recommend rebuilding the motor, but not everyone can have that done because of money and downtime, so I won't go into that.

...and don't drop your clutch Pappi, lol. For one, that's a low RPM to do it in and you'll only bog the motor down and possibly grind or break teeth on the syncros and possibly more (not at 3k of course, but you never know).

Old 11-04-2006, 10:35 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

I preciate that dog. I did that pull the clutch is fine. I got so use to that V6 I had I exspecting more from this motor. Its funny tho she runs better in the cold power and trans wise. Like in a previous post I wrote bout double even quadruple clutching to get it into first, she goes right in like any other gear.

P.S I have another clutch leak YA!! Time to work that calve again. What kind of damage can happen if you drive for a couple miles without any fluid. My mom gave back my car said sumthing was wrong with it I don't how long she was driving like this but the pedal was too the floor barley had any lift to it and the clutch res was bone dry, funny tho she grabbed like it was bran new when i let off. I put fluid in it first time she drank almost all of it the second time she still holding. I'm just gonna flush the lines and get that tune up I kept putting off. I'm starting to get like a female gas and go until sumthing breaks. I'll hafta finish this later piece

Old 11-04-2006, 11:28 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Well, the 420a is supposedly quicker, but they both run the same time in the 1/4 mile, lol. The I4 just has more pep is all.
As for not having fluid, I'm surprised you were able to even disengage the clutch, lol. You could have air in the hydraulic lines. How old are the master and slave cylinders? Make sure that they aren't leaking either. It's a good thing to drive it around then check for leaks, or even just have someone press the clutch while your car is on jacks and check for leaks then. Both the cylinders, the resevoir area, and all the lines are a must to check. Make sure that the rubber lines aren't swelling when the clutch is pressed in too.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:59 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

Yeah I know im rinding around with air in the lines I was wondering how long will she hold like that? Yeah I know i'll eventually get moisture in the lines which is no good.

I just had those changed out back in Sept. Charged me lik $100 and sum change for master and slave plus flush job. Yeah I had the car on a lift at the shop had sum1 in the car press the clutch and nadda. Started the car and tried it nadda had him even turn it back off and pump. She feels normal now since I had fluid in her still hafta pump a lil before I start her so I have a slow leak. In the previous post I put up it was a swollen rubber boot that leaked I was asking what the name of it was, never found out but its fixed.

So I hafta get a tune up clutch flush job window fixed cause she won't go down. Check the switches at the crib the passenger side window switch doesn't work but the lock does, and on the driver side switch the passenger side window switch doesn't work but the other buttons do.. I glad the window is stuck up rather than down. Need a wire tester yeah I know. and now the inside door handle broke off on the passenger side its cool when a ladie is the front seat cuz I look like a gentlemen opening the door for her, but if its a guy I make him climb over to the driverside cuz I don't roll like that. I check out local junkyard this cat wants $20 for the door handle cheap but I was saying $10 $15 at most. And I asked about the window motor $75 for that I was guessing $50 Im not gonna messin with the dealer they wanted $15 plus my linc. reg, and proof of ins. for a replacement key went to southside and got it for $3.

So with no further adew what else should I look out for with this car. What common problems have you had or should I make another post and ask this?

Old 11-05-2006, 11:15 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I don't know how long your tranny would last. If it's grinding, when you shift, it will last for awhile but the long term damage will shorten the overall life of the tranny. The moisture part is correct and it will also start corroding the inside of the metal lines if the bubble happens to be in that part, then the corrosion will break free and clog something in the hydro system.
I would listen to the motor on the affected side and listen to the switch to see if the motor hums when you press the button. If not, I would take the button assembly apart and clean the contacts. I had to do that once before myself because I would get intermitten response. It can be really gunked up that it isn't completing the circuit. I would try that first then, buy parts.

I would make another post about common problems. The only thing is there only a few common one, then there are a ton of not so common that happen to some cars but not others...blah, blah. So I don't know how many responses you would get for that one, plus there's not that many folks in here anyway, lol.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:40 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

LOL! I swear too GOD this car is like me with getting fixed. Today I was gonna take her to the shop for that Tune up clutch flush and work on the door while I was there and she is running fine clutch is now back to normal like some how the leak has been sealed up yeah riiiiiight! And I it was a now she wants to ride good in the warm weather, Had me think for a sec hat I was gettin watered down gas.Im still gonna get her check out. I found a door handle for the pass. inter. at a junkyard hopefully dodge didn't change them over the years and I found a better dipstick 4 the oil I knew mine was too hard to pull out and get back in. I was wondering with a junkyard car is it good to use the old clutch stuff off of it? It has the same 2L 5-speed and the motor is cleaner I mean dude really kept his motor clean unitl she was hit. What things I shouldn't take off a junked car thats been rearended [&:] besides the obvious?

The window motor makes no noise should of mentioned that earlier. Thats y I i think the motor is no good and leaning away from bad wiring. I can do the wiring job but don't want to cuz it involes alot of testing starting from the battery and ending problem. Another thing I should of mentioned is that I already took off both door covers and removed both switches and cleaned them. The driveside looked worse than the passenger. Check it out it was sprinkling outside and I had both windows down followin with sum friends, mabye a lil water got in there. When I pulled up at the house the windows rolled up. Next day let my mom use her she rolls up to my job saying that the window doesn't work thats the third time she came to me saying "Something is wrong with the car". Its between me riding in the mist and my brother always slamming my GDD! This fool slams so much stuff I think he is deaf I don't know if its that he deaf from coaches yelling at him or too strong for his own good from footbal training. So what im asking is what else besides the window motor, switch, and wires could it be?

Quick Reply: New Clutch?