1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

4g63 vs 4g63-t

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:13 AM
south72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4g63 vs 4g63-t

hay y dont you look at geting a 4g72 are a 4g73 that the v6 one a sohc trun fast for 1/8 and dohc is a dohc that makes more at top end go for 1/4 but both if done right run in the 9s 1/8 all motor

[/align]

Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 AM
south72

[/align]one other thing is the 4g63 does have higher compresion the the 4g63t but withthe non trubo you can build with the same parts andget same motor when your done but you do need two see if a 6bolt are 7bolt they have def. cranks and pisten arms and lower your comp. goes the more bost you need to go and the hard it is to take off let you know be there done that know im run a non trubo with 9.5 to1 hiting 12psi and it like it was when i was hiting 35psi on a 8 to 1 and with the higher comp.. it drives a lot beter in town and gined lot more on take off from a dead stop from a drop 50mh+ its the same and my budy has a v6 4g72 non trubo with just bolt on that runs with me and he just started puting the trubo on his.i knowwhenits donegoing to live me in the dust

Old 04-19-2007, 06:26 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

First thing, welcome to DF South72

ORIGINAL: south72

[/align]1.8 was 4g62 sohc 4g63 is dohc
The 4G63 1.8L N/A are found in the 90-94 Eclipse/Talons.
The 4G62 1.8L is found in... [ul][*]1983–1989 Mitsubishi Cordia[*]1988 Mitsubishi Tredia[/ul] You can find that info in the wiki.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Sirius_engine
Careful with the info passed along in here please.

ORIGINAL: south72

[/align]one other thing is the 4g63 does have higher compresion the the 4g63t but withthe non trubo you can build with the same parts andget same motor when your done but you do need two see if a 6bolt are 7bolt they have def. cranks and pisten arms and lower your comp. goes the more bost you need to go and the hard it is to take off let you know be there done that know im run a non trubo with 9.5 to1 hiting 12psi and it like it was when i was hiting 35psi on a 8 to 1 and with the higher comp.. it drives a lot beter in town and gined lot more on take off from a dead stop from a drop 50mh+ its the same and my budy has a v6 4g72 non trubo with just bolt on that runs with me and he just started puting the trubo on his.i knowwhenits donegoing to live me in the dust
I don't understand what you're saying here or the other post either. Can you reiterate please?
From what I can gather from your post...boosting a N/A 4g63 will not make it the same motor as the turbo 4g63.
Also the 1st generation 7 bolt motors are as prone to crankwalking as the 1st generation 6 bolt motors...only 2nd generation 7 bolt motors are more commonly prone to crankwalk.

But, before we continue this, you'll have to clear up what you're saying bud.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:55 PM
south72

ok i done some more looking the cars your talking about was 4g62 and 4g62t sohc not a 4g63 but a did find a jdm vr4 Galant that a 1.8 dohc 4g63 and what i was saying about my car i whent with non trubo 4g63 keep it high compresion and it give me a better take off they the low comp. did.With the high comp.i get the same pull with 5/8 less off bost

[/align]

Old 04-19-2007, 09:46 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Well, we were actually talking about the 4g63, 4g63t, and 420a, respectively. The 4g62 (& T) is an older motor. It also requires wiring up the ECU and sensors...older ECU and sensors. It's also a 1.8L. Why install a 1.8L when you can install a 2.0L with room to grow? There's a lot more you have to do to get a that 1.8L into the same power range of the the 4g63T. You can put the 4g62T in if you like, but there's a lot of weight to push around in these Avengers....it's not in the Cordia weight range.
The question was about putting in a 4g63T into his Avenger like mine has. From what I can see, the 4g62 will take the same amount of work, but there's a lot to convert on an Avenger to get this to work. The 4g62 axles will have to accommodate a 5 bolt hub or convert the Avenger hubs to a 4 bolt, not to mention, since it's in a different platform there's going to be more work involved.
The 6g72 SOHC that you referred to is too big and won't fit as a drop in motor. The 3.0L from the 3rd gen Eclipse, and similar motors, can only be pieced together with the original 2.5L motor. The downfall to this is that it will have to stay as an automatic since there aren't any "drop in" transmissions that will work/fit with our cars. A turbo'd 6g73 and 6g72 (pieced in 3.0L) are already in Avengers/Sebrings. As the power goes up, there's always going to be traction issues. That's my reason for having the 4g63t AWD put in instead of just the FWD model...otherwise, I would have just stayed with the original 6g73 and boosted it.

Bottom line on the 4g62...it's not going to be a mild conversion drop in. The 4g63t came in the same unibody with minor differences of overall length. If he wanted to drop in a 4g63 from the Eclipse it will be a "simple" conversion. The Eclipse/Talon/Avenger/Sebring are closely related. The Cordia isn't. If I was to put a motor in with a lot of cutting and modifications, a 4 cylinder would not be the preferrence, a V8 would be. Besides, it seems the 4g63 is a better motor, otherwise the 4g62 would have stayed around as long as the 4g63 has.
I do see your point, to have more motor options and that's a good point. In all, it goes like this 4g63>4g62.

Higher compression over lower compression... A lower compression motor can withstand the pressures of a bigger turbo. A higher compression motor will need to stop growing because it can't handle the pressure without blowing itself up. We're not talking about V8s here, we're talking about small 2.0L motors. High compression plus a turbo on a V8 will have bigger gains than a high compression I4 with a turbo. I see your point about a high compression I4 turbo, but even Honda guys prefer to lower their compression when going to a larger turbo to keep their motors from blowing up on the track. It' not a question of being as powerful at less psi because I'll be able to crank up my turbo and make more WHP than the turbo'd N/A motor who can only go up to 10-11psi. It's not an opinion, it's a proven fact.
Stock for stock (sort of), a stock 4g63t motor will still be more powerful than a 420a with a turbo on it. Of course it's going to feel quicker, especially compared to what it used to feel like.....
Streetability...Low compression turbo'd cars are capable of this. Stock turbo cars are already low compressioned. If you don't know how to tune one, you'll have a harder time driving one around town that's for sure.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:17 AM
south72

ok your not geting nothen im saying but if anyone has any info that can help me feel free to e-mail me b/c im takeing out my 4g63 and puting in a 6g72t thats the dohc v6 3.0 tiwn trubo and sorry i could help yal

[/align]

Old 04-22-2007, 03:55 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yeah, sorry, I'm really not understanding you, maybe it's just me.
Your last post is pretty much saying that you've got a 4g63 in your Avenger/Sebring (assuming that since you didn't state otherwise in the 95-00 Avenger forum) and that you're about to put in the GTO/3000GT VR4/Stealth TT/RT motor into your Avenger....good luck. Keep us updated on that venture.

Quick Reply: 4g63 vs 4g63-t