1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

What you hate about your Dakota.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 PM
gonetothehills41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate the lowsy turn radius on the 94 Dakota.

I hate the seizing disc brakes on the 2001 Quad Cab.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:49 PM
MacDak
Professional

Speaking of hate - I HATE that our site is allowing those ridiculous POP UP ADS!! Scrooge, Verizon, etc. - hey, I will purposely AVOID those things because of these ads.

Ok, back to me truck. I'm kind of with the aftermarket crowd. I'd have to be mighty picky to find something to hate in the truck that I love more than any other I've ever owned!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:30 PM
SEPA92Dakota
Professional

I hate the exhaust manifold studs that snap off!! Especially the little 3.9s, my '92 has one sheared off on each center cylinder (but no leaks!) and the '99 has a broken front stud that's leaking.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

I'm surprised how much I don't hate my Dakota. It's a 96 Club Cab, V8, Auto, 4wd. Lot's more truck than I need. Even high mileage, it's better than my last Dodge Truck--an 89 Dodge Ram D350 diesel, dually--which was absolutely the worst & expensive piece of junk.

It is what it is, an old, not beat, but high mileage truck. It runs good, gets down the road, rides and steers like a truck, and gets reasonable mileage out on the highway (but not so much around town.) And it is almost completely rust free and is completely corrosion free. Makes it nice to work on and worthwhile to put money into when it needs it.

My truck when I got it last summer had new tires and a new windshield, the trannie has been rebuilt, and the guy I got it from (a 77 year old family friend) treated it gently and kept it fixed and maintained.

I've been fighting some worn out parts and leaky seals and gaskets. Things that are related to 18 years of use and 229,000 miles on the clock.

It seems to me that the folks that hate their trucks the most live in the rust belt--where there's lots of snow and they use road salt. I grew up in Michigan and remember broken lug bolts, rusted out floor boards, electrical parts that gave up the ghost because of corrosion. I'm spoiled by living in a dry climate, but even when I lived in W. Wash. and N. Nevada, I didn't have to go through what you guys live with.

You may hate things about your Dakotas, but they weren't bad trucks (and better than most Chrysler product of the past 25 years.) At least as good as their American competition, I think.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
inuchan187
Professional

Only thing i hate is lack of space in the rear seat on club cabs. Everything else can be fixed, but its not easy to add another foot of room so the rear passengers can get some real seats and not have their head through the rear window if the truck gets rear ended. At least there is enough room to replace the seats with a toolbox and a hi-lift jack.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 AM
cummins540power

The stock trannys are week, I hate not haveing manual locking hubs, I put a set of warn hubs on, and the stupid enclosed ujoints on the front driveshaft, and how the cupholders are on the passenger side...

Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

that my fully built 300hp 2.5l motor doesn't bolt up to the transmission so i'm stuck with my shotty la v6...it used grind my gears till i got a rebuilt trans...lol

Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 PM
DonDuncan

I hate that you have to pull the front differential and not only jack up the engine but you have to completely remove the engine mount JUST TO DROP THE OIL PAN!!

Old 05-12-2013, 12:46 AM
rx7_dude2003
Professional

I hatehaving to jump in and out of my truck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What you hate about your Dakota.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: