1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

i leave for basic soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Auron
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i leave for basic soon

and i have almost new >2000 miles tires that are just gonna sit for 6 months what should i do with them to save them from dry rotting

Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 AM
kikazzdakota
Professional

aurora dude now not certain om this but i take my winter tires off the rims and put them in sealed bags can u put the dakota on blocks?

Old 07-21-2010, 03:09 AM
kikazzdakota
Professional

tire bags, inside, temp controlled and dry if u have the space.....

Old 07-21-2010, 04:20 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what the climate is where you are at, but I'm based out of Little Rock, AR. Weather there, in the summer, gets to 100+, with relatively high humidity.

Prior to my deployments (4 months long), I never really have done nothing special to my tires (or, my entire vehicle for the most part, just have a friend run it every couple weeks, and usually wash/wax them before I leave).
I haven't had any issues with the tires on any of my vehicles dry rotting.

Not quite sure if those tire dressings (the ones that clean the rubber, and make them shine as some of them do) help prevent dry rot, but maybe try that?

What branch are you going into? Good luck!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:54 AM
sup_mario
Rookie

Man you can pull out the tires and put it on a bag to save.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found this on a website

Last edited by Deerkiller9991; 07-21-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

found this on a website

Step 1
Store tires in a clean, cool, dry and preferably dark place that's well-ventilated and air can circulate. A dry basement is better than outdoors or a hot garage or attic. Basements tend to be cooler with more stable temperatures.

Step 2
Store tires away from motors, generators, furnaces, sump pumps and switches because they are sources of ozone.

Step 3
Place tires on a piece of clean wood and not on the ground.

Step 4
If possible, store tires vertically rather than stacking horizontally to reduce stress and tire distortion. If tires must be stacked horizontally, stack them symmetrically and not so high as to cause severe distortion of the tires at the bottom.

Step 5
Because black rubber and white rubber are compounded differently, stack white letter tire surfaces "white to white" and "black to black" to prevent staining of the white rubber.

Step 6
Cover tires with a sheet of opaque or black polyethylene film to limit exposure to oxygen and ozone. Better yet, store each tire in an individual opaque and airtight plastic bag. Large lawn and garden bags will work. Tape the bag shut to prevent moisture from entering

Step 7
Store tires so water cannot collect inside where it can cause damage or provide a breeding place for mosquitoes and other vermin. Allow air to circulate around all sides of the tires, including underneath, to prevent moisture damage. Water remaining inside mounted tires can actually turn to steam when tires get hot at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: i leave for basic soon