1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Major Body Work

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:22 PM
George5284
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Major Body Work

Hi Everyone! I bought my '95 Dakota Sport with 200k miles on it and obvious rust. Hey, it was $100. I'm now a bit overwhelmed by the task of doing restoration but it's suppose to be a long winter and I need a project. I'm not looking to make this into a show piece like all the photos I see here, but I would like to extend the useful life and have something that doesn't look like it is owned by the Beverly Hillbillies.

Any way I have a couple questions - actually lots of questions but all in good time. For starters...

1.) I see places advertising replacement fenders and other sections to weld in place. What source do you recommend and where would you not recommend?

2.) Don't laugh. To work on the bed, is it better to take it off the truck and move around it or lay on my back to get the underside?

Thanks!

George

Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, the first place you should look for replacement painted parts would be the scrap yards. You can get gems for dirt cheap usually.

If you're gonna do body work on the bed you'll make life easier for yourself if you take it off the truck. That way you're not working around all the wiring, brake lines, fuel tank, wheels, frame etc

Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrecking yards are the first then if you can't find any thing else check rock auto, Mine has lots of rust on her since the first owners never washed it since I bought a yearish ago. are you going to paint it your self or pay some one?

Quick Reply: Major Body Work