1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Bad way to change oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM
andy2510
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad way to change oil?

For the last 9 years I've been changing oil in my 96 Dakota by unscrewing the oil filter & starting the engine to pump out the oil. It only takes a few seconds for it to pump the oil out. I have been doing this because the oil plug threads got stripped out & it is stuck in the pan. The truck has 185,000 miles on it now. I never expected it to last this long doing it this way. Ive had this truck for 13 years and drive it daily. I also change oil in it every 2000-3000 miles.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:37 AM
WRXCarl
Professional

Hey welcome to the forum! I just noticed your from Cystal MN! I live right over in Brooklyn Center. See you on the roads!

Back on Topic
Considered getting a new pan?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 PM
93MissDakota
Professional

yea i wouldnt do that. just get a new oil pan, or used at least. ive worked at an oil change shop for about 4 years and ive never heard of anyone doing that. just fix your drain plug issue somehow

Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Rain

Interesting. Sounds like a messy way and you risk running the engine dry.

You can buy a fluid extractor and suck it out from the dip stick. But ideally fixing a stripped drain plug is not too hard.

Use large vise grips and grip the stripped drain plug as tight as you can and turn it.

You will need to buy new drain plug / washer and retap the drain plug hole if it is crossed threaded.

Quick Reply: Bad way to change oil?