1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

finally have working brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:42 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default finally have working brakes

so after just over 3yrs of not having full brakes on my dakota I finally got them to properly work.

the past 2 weeks ive gone through 6 master cyls, all of which have been bad out of the box, neither of them made it past the bench bleeding process.

I put all newer pads, rotors, wheel cylinders, lines, calipers, ect and then the master I put on in 2012 went bad so off to the store.

and after arguing with the self-proclaimed mopar mechanic, I got refunded entirely and went somewhere else. I spent $80 and got a brand new one with a new resevior and after a couple minutes of bench bleeding I put it on the truck and got all the brakes bled and properly working.

but then tragedy struck as I was trying to get the bleeder screw on the left wheel cylinder snapped off just as it started to close. and the brakes failed on my furd and my cars brakes are starting to fail also...

man, am I f*****g tired of dealing with brakes.

and fyi, the truck is almost road worthy. I just need to go over all the bolts again to make sure everything is to spec and ill be moving my exhaust around again. It hangs under the frame for now because I needed to move my truck without complaints from the neighbors.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:26 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
so after just over 3yrs of not having full brakes on my dakota I finally got them to properly work.

the past 2 weeks ive gone through 6 master cyls, all of which have been bad out of the box, neither of them made it past the bench bleeding process.

I put all newer pads, rotors, wheel cylinders, lines, calipers, ect and then the master I put on in 2012 went bad so off to the store.

and after arguing with the self-proclaimed mopar mechanic, I got refunded entirely and went somewhere else. I spent $80 and got a brand new one with a new resevior and after a couple minutes of bench bleeding I put it on the truck and got all the brakes bled and properly working.

but then tragedy struck as I was trying to get the bleeder screw on the left wheel cylinder snapped off just as it started to close. and the brakes failed on my furd and my cars brakes are starting to fail also...

man, am I f*****g tired of dealing with brakes.

and fyi, the truck is almost road worthy. I just need to go over all the bolts again to make sure everything is to spec and ill be moving my exhaust around again. It hangs under the frame for now because I needed to move my truck without complaints from the neighbors.

Good job man! That's a ton of work...six bad MCs in a row would frustrate the hell out of me. Broken bleed valve too...ugh. I've got to do all the lines on m dad's 2002 Silverado because they're rusting out in multiple locations. Multiple choice poll:

What is the worst part about living where it snows and the salt the roads?

A. Rust.

If you answered A., congrats, you win.

Good luck man.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:12 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha. now I have a no start issue again...fml

Quick Reply: finally have working brakes