1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

New Guy looking at opinions on 1989 Dodge Dakota's value

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:52 PM
BrianJonas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy looking at opinions on 1989 Dodge Dakota's value

Hi guys,

I have a 1989 Dodge Dakota that I am in the initial stages of researching it's value in order to sell. I bought it from a close friend just 20 months ago. It has 91,000 original miles on it. Before me, it was a one-owner truck (his wife's grandfather's trusty Dodge). I'm told he wintered it every winter which I totally believe because as a winter vehicle, it has zero rust on the body. Only on the rear chrome bumper will you find any rust, and you could probably fit all the square inches of rust within the area of a dollar bill.

It has a few scratches here and there on the body, and mostly in the bed (which he made a custom cut rubber bed liner for) and some on top of the tailgate that is hidden by the closure of the topper glass. The topper is fiberglass and is old-school and in very good shape.

The headliner needs some help (it's billowing and I've secured it (from annoying me with windows down by putting pin buttons on the ceiling). I think I need to replace the power steering pump as it's dripping (very slowly), otherwise, it's just had oil changes and little else needed.

Anyway, as I said, just looking for opinions on what you think it's value would be. I've tried basic things like Car Soup to see what other comparable vehicles go for, but I see same year vehicles with like 160K or 200K on it going for $2,000-3,500. I would think with the low miles and the pretty nice condition that I could fetch far greater than that.

I've used this as a daily driver as a painting contractor and with it's full-size bed, it's been awesome. I'm getting out of that line of work now and so don't really need a vehicle like this any longer. By the way, this is a 2WD.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:54 PM
BrianJonas

BTW, there is a little spotting of rust on a couple steel wheels.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:48 AM
gerry92
Professional

Well I think the PO done an incredible job keeping those rust bite away as much as possible! Personally I think it will be at least $3000 for its nice look, some repair on those rust could make it up to $4000

Last edited by gerry92; 03-10-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:44 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Moving to the correct section.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 PM
mark38090
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about value but damn that's nice.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:27 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Dang, wish you were closer - I'd love to buy that topper off it from you!

RwP

Old 03-25-2015, 08:07 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

You have a very nice clean pickup there. I would suggest that you pick up a rear bumper and replace it. I think it would help resale a lot. That being said, unless you find someone who really wants a first gen. long bed 2wd truck bad, I think you will be hard pressed to sell it for more then 2,000.00 I hope I don't get flamed for this, but the 1st gen. Dakotas don't seem to bring a lot on the market. When checking prices make sure you are comparing the same truck, and not another brand, model, etc. Also, look at what they sell for and not what they are advertising them for.
I hope I have not offended you with my opinion. I am just trying to be realistic as to what these sale for. FWIW you really do have a nice truck.

Quick Reply: New Guy looking at opinions on 1989 Dodge Dakota's value