1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Need Easy Fuel Line Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 10:29 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you guys tell me what size is the fuel line on this 91 dakota? 3/8" ? I want to order that Dorman part Moparite mentioned. thanks

Old 09-15-2016, 10:44 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

I emailed Dorman about that 800-035 brass fitting and asked if i could clamp my rubber fuel hose onto that barbed end and he wrote back

"Sorry no as that is for Nylon fuel line and is a smaller diameter then the rubber hose."

Smaller diameter??? 3/8 is 3/8 i thought.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:34 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm thinking the simple hose and clamp that tbugden showed in the pic should be fine.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:45 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinSandidge
I emailed Dorman about that 800-035 brass fitting and asked if i could clamp my rubber fuel hose onto that barbed end and he wrote back

"Sorry no as that is for Nylon fuel line and is a smaller diameter then the rubber hose."

Smaller diameter??? 3/8 is 3/8 i thought.
It's 5/16" line.

So my favorite idea in this thread is the flare and clamp method for its security and simplicity. As mentioned above ^ I've had good results without flaring but thinking back that WAS with brand new fuel hard line. I should've considered the fact you're using the old hard line and its possible the fit MAY not be as good.

Anyways that's my opinion, this has been a good problem solving thread haha, great many solutions that could work.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:53 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

thank yall; it figures my line would be 5/16 after asking autozone to order two of the 3/8" dorman fittings. oh well

We can be sure that if i find my right size dorman compression fitting, that it will be secure and not blow off, right? as for the barbed end of the 800-035, if i have to use a smaller diameter rubber line, i can make that work..i think; ha.

Last edited by KevinSandidge; 09-16-2016 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-16-2016, 07:27 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

OH JOY! When you order those adapters, they come Two in a pack so i got two today. Earlier, i cut off my fuel line with the tube cutter and found it to be as yall say, 5/16" The compression end of the adapter fits nicely but i had to go with 1/4" efi hose to have a tight fit and the whole job should go smoothly.

Is it a bad thing to step down from 5/16" to 1/4" on either side of the filter?

Old 09-17-2016, 01:41 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinSandidge
OH JOY! When you order those adapters, they come Two in a pack so i got two today. Earlier, i cut off my fuel line with the tube cutter and found it to be as yall say, 5/16" The compression end of the adapter fits nicely but i had to go with 1/4" efi hose to have a tight fit and the whole job should go smoothly.

Is it a bad thing to step down from 5/16" to 1/4" on either side of the filter?
I personally wouldn't be concerned about it. Just a short run of a little more constriction shouldn't make a terrible difference. Sounds like you've about gotten it buttoned up, crossing fingers for a good non leaking repair! Bet you'll be golden.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:46 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Originally Posted by tbugden
crossing fingers for a good non leaking repair! Bet you'll be golden.
Thank you very much; glad you all are here!

Old 09-17-2016, 09:42 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

cut the crimped fitting off the hose by hand with a hacksaw blade cutting in line with the rest of the line, with the rest of the old hose as a buffer against going thru the line itself, and then pry the slot you just made open with a screwdriver then pull what is left of the old one off.
Go with fuel injection rated hose and the pressure won't be a problem. Alot of rubber hose says right on it "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION". Pay attention to this.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:09 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

It's done! clamped 1/4" hose over the barbs on one side and the 5/16" compression fit on steel line...no leaks. Glad that's done but my truck still randomly stalls goin down the road and one time as i'm bout to merge into traffic, it dies and would not start again so i called for help...no answer..tried again and it started but ran rough then smoothed out and i made it home...later in the day i took my mechanic on a ride and it never acted up once! today i wanted to just let it warm up and it dies after 3 minutes so i'm at a loss.

Quick Reply: Need Easy Fuel Line Repair