1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Front Suspension Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Anderson Knight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Suspension Rebuild

Hello Everyone, I am new to this whole forum thing. Thought i would give it a try as I'm doin some DIY suspension work on my 96 Dakota 2WD.

Ok so, Ill start by listing all the parts i know it needs:
- upper and lower control arm bushings
- upper and lower ball joints
- tie rod ends
- sway bar linkages (not sure if thats what you call them)
- struts

Ive got a little bit of experience with minor suspension work on other vehicles. I have watched a bunch of videos online, I've gathered all the necessary tools (i hope), I've got the Haynes manual, and I'm feeling buff. However, i have never used or worked with bushing and ball joint presses. is the lower easier/harder then the upper? Is this something that can be done semi efficiently? or should i save myself the frustration and just replace the whole control arm?

Also where is the best place to get the listed parts?? Online? or can i go to the auto store and get them?

Any ideas, advice, personal experiences, or sources of info is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-09-2017, 10:35 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anderson Knight
Hello Everyone, I am new to this whole forum thing. Thought i would give it a try as I'm doin some DIY suspension work on my 96 Dakota 2WD.

Ok so, Ill start by listing all the parts i know it needs:
- upper and lower control arm bushings
- upper and lower ball joints
- tie rod ends
- sway bar linkages (not sure if thats what you call them)
- struts

Ive got a little bit of experience with minor suspension work on other vehicles. I have watched a bunch of videos online, I've gathered all the necessary tools (i hope), I've got the Haynes manual, and I'm feeling buff. However, i have never used or worked with bushing and ball joint presses. is the lower easier/harder then the upper? Is this something that can be done semi efficiently? or should i save myself the frustration and just replace the whole control arm?

Also where is the best place to get the listed parts?? Online? or can i go to the auto store and get them?

Any ideas, advice, personal experiences, or sources of info is greatly appreciated!
I responded to your other thread

Old 12-01-2017, 08:52 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you in AZ? Some suggestions, you can borrow the tools at Autozone. They charge you the price of the tool and refund when you bring it back. I'd get the parts at Rock Auto, don't forget the 5% discount. Pretty much the best prices. I have the ball joint press kit from Harbor Freight. Works well. Helps to have access to a vice, a compressor, and an impact driver. I'm in Tucson, you're welcome to borrow mine (or bring you control arms and I'll press them out and in.) Autozone has two sizes of pullers for the tie rod ends. You need the larger one. (I have both.) Your truck doesn't have struts, shocks and springs only. Rockauto is having a close out on KYB, $15 or so. I've been happy with them on my 96 4wd.

Safety. Use jackstands! And safety glasses!

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 12-01-2017 at 09:00 AM.