1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

New Steering Wheels Suggestions

Old 09-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Anderson Knight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Steering Wheels Suggestions

Hey guys, anyone ever replaced the steering wheel on their 1st Gen? Mine has pretty much deteriorated. I can find after market companies like Grant that make steering wheels that I think look pretty decent and will fit with adaptors. However, I am concerned about what will happen to my power steering controls. Any good after market companies and/or are there other generations that would be compatible?

Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Anderson Knight
Hey guys, anyone ever replaced the steering wheel on their 1st Gen? Mine has pretty much deteriorated. I can find after market companies like Grant that make steering wheels that I think look pretty decent and will fit with adaptors. However, I am concerned about what will happen to my power steering controls. Any good after market companies and/or are there other generations that would be compatible?
What do you mean by "power steering controls"?

The power steering is controlled by the rack and pinion (2WD) or the recirc ball gear box (4WD); the steering wheel in use makes no difference to that.

Grant makes an adapter that works for the early (pre-airbag) Gen1's; what year is your Gen1?

RwP

Old 09-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Anderson Knight
Default I feel dumb

I guess I was a little tired when I wrote and proof read my thread here.. What I had meant to ask was what would happen to my Cruise Control? On/off, set and resume buttons?
96 Dakota SLT 2WD

Old 09-22-2017, 02:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

If the new steering wheel doesn't have 'em, you just don't hook up that connector. Of course, that means no cruise control......

Old 09-22-2017, 06:30 PM
Anderson Knight
Default If the new steering wheel doesn't have 'em, you just don't hook up that connector. Of

Is there any other gens that would be compatible? or is there any other dodge models that might fit and i could keep my cruise?

Old 09-23-2017, 07:31 AM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by Anderson Knight
Is there any other gens that would be compatible? or is there any other dodge models that might fit and i could keep my cruise?
Well, worst case, build up a set of push button switches and resistors to match (see the wiring in the factory service manual) and wire that in; put the switches somewhere else (possibly above the headlight switch, if there's room).

As to other models - nothing newer, it appears.

I worked it backwards - what clocksprings are interchangeable? I looked up the part number (56007626), then tried to find out what else used the same clock spring. Using Ebay's cross (which, admittedly, is FAR from perfect! Caveat emptor etc.) I find a listing at http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mopar-St...-/332284174831 that shows a few (VERY few!) other Chrysler vehicles.

(I worked from the clock spring because, well, the wheel needs to plug into it.)

Basically 94-96 Dakota, and 92-93 Dynasty, Imperial, and New Yorker.

(The official Mopar parts book lists a DIFFERENT clock spring for 1994 Dakota; so take the Ebay cross with a boulder of salt.)

RwP

Old 09-28-2017, 05:21 PM
Anderson Knight
Default RalphP=God

Thank you so much!!
I found a steering wheel on eBay from a Ram PickUp 94-96? Looks identical to my current steering wheel with the exception of a leather wrap..... Its $280 and I dont got the dough to make that loaf of bread right now. Also found a nice beat up one off of a 92 Dakota but that too will still do me for $250. So i think for the time being I will have to go with something after market.
I dont want anything... How can I say this, hideous?.. Which is about 90% of the junk I see. Grant makes a wooden classic style that doesn't look too bad but even that is too much for me on a bad day. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Where in the service manual did you locate the steering wheel info? I can't seem to find anything in the one I downloaded from FAQ.

Last edited by Anderson Knight; 09-28-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: additional questions
Old 10-05-2017, 09:40 PM
RalphP
Champion

I found the part number in the parts lists, pulled from the FAQ here.

I then used that as a Google search tool.

When I found a listing for the clockspring, I then looked for the other vehicles that used the same clockspring.

I have since found that the cruise control wiring for a 1996 is different from a 1994; not sure which year 1995 uses.

(That from the service manuals here - why, yes, I collect service manuals like most folks collect stamps or bottle caps, why do you ask? *grins* )

RwP

Old 10-05-2017, 09:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
I found the part number in the parts lists, pulled from the FAQ here.

I then used that as a Google search tool.

When I found a listing for the clockspring, I then looked for the other vehicles that used the same clockspring.

I have since found that the cruise control wiring for a 1996 is different from a 1994; not sure which year 1995 uses.

(That from the service manuals here - why, yes, I collect service manuals like most folks collect stamps or bottle caps, why do you ask? *grins* )

RwP
Wait, what? Collecting service manuals is 'unusual'? Wow.... No. I don't do that..... Really..... Honest....... I don't....... Hey! Look over there!! Shiny!!!

Search this Thread