1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Weather Stripping--What Kind?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 09:51 PM
Ruff16965
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weather Stripping--What Kind?

Evening all,

Took the 93 Dakota through the car wash the other day, since the door panels were off as I was working on installing the front speakers I got a birds eye view. As I passed under the first waterfall, there were three waterfalls in the truck, both doors just had sheets of water pouring down into the bottom. After I dot out I took a close look and discovered that there is none to very very little, like maybe 1 inch sections of the original "weather stripping" along the top of door frame.

Started looking around online, my first place to shop, and there seems to be a bunch of different kinds. Some I get the function right away, it goes between the door and the frame, got some in the cart. But what kind do I need for the top of the door where the window goes into the door when it rolled down? I see some that looks like flat strips, some that seem to have a "channel" that looks like it would fit right on top on the door. Is there a certain thickness I need? Can I get too thick? I figure too thin and the water still gets through.

Thanks for any and all advice as always.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:52 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Why not just buy the designed-to-fit? Precision Restoration lists them, https://www.prp.com/product/detail/3...akota&type=All for the whole kit.

RockAuto also shows them, the door weatherstrip https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...therstrip,1430 , the channel run for the glass https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+channel,12412 but alas not the beltline strips.Those PRP shows in stock, thankfully: https://www.prp.com/product/?SearchT...akota&type=All

Don't forget to get a new window guide to replace the old one while you're swapping the channel, such as the Dorman 700-893 .

(You can take those part numbers, and search Amazon for them, for other possible sources if you wish.)

RwP

Old 05-14-2018, 12:40 AM
Ruff16965
Professional

Ralph,

Again I am in your debt, the reason that I was not looking at a whole kit is that I did not know that such a thing existed. I have said it before and I will probably say it a thousand more times, I am not a mechanic and don't know the simple things.

What is the window guide and what does it do?

Old 05-14-2018, 08:51 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The window guide is a piece of plastic that rides in the glass channel and keeps the window from tilting as it goes up and down.

In other words, it guides the window.

(As one of my favorite Jack Harkness quotes says, "Does exactly what it says on the tin." *grins* )

BTW - I have a PRP kit sitting to the side awaiting my doing some minor body work and painting to my doors. Others have used their kits here; they seem to be high quality parts. But I can understand ordering the Fairchild or other brand weatherstripping from RockAuto or whoever and not waiting for the whole kit to come available.

What brand and model speakers did you end up with in your doors? I'll probably be replacing my BOSS speakers (hey, they were cheap at Parts Express and beat blown out factories!) when I tear into the doors, cleaning, painting, and sound deadening them.

(Which may not be this year; gotta do the wife's Cougar first!)

RwP

Old 05-14-2018, 09:28 AM
Ruff16965
Professional

BOSS Audio P55.4C 300 Watt 5.25 Inch, 4 Way in the door. I was going with a pair of Boss in the rear but with the mix up, refunds, Amazon gave me a credit and I went with Planet Audio TRQ573 Torque 300 Watt, 5 x 7 Inch, Full Range, 3 Way Car Speaker for the rear. They just came in yesterday, I hope to get them in today.

Quick Reply: Weather Stripping--What Kind?