1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 08:17 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge

1993 Dodge Dakota, 5.2L

My fuel gauge petered out a few years ago. I didn't bother to fix it. I just used my trip-o-meter for a fuel gauge. Then a couple of months ago my fuel pump crapped out. Had to fix that. So I replaced it with a Delphi pump. Of course the gauge sending unit comes with it. Got it swapped out and the truck is running fine. My fuel gauge needle pegged on FULL for the first time in a long time (I had a full tank of gas). As I drove and used up the gas in the tank the needle started to go down normally. But it stops going down after about 70ish miles. Is it possible the float on the sending arm is hitting the side of the tank? I put the replacement unit back in the same spot as the old one but I wasn't being a perfectionist about it so I suppose it's possible the replacement went in a few degrees different. Just wondering if anyone had experience with this. I have no problem going back and giving it a nudge if I thought it would solve the problem. Now that I have replaced the fuel pump it is no big deal to go back now that I know what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2018, 09:21 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Yep, there's a chance that's the problem.

RwP

Old 08-18-2018, 04:38 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Just want to do a follow up. I finally went back to my fuel pump/sending unit. I turned it about 10 - 15 degrees counterclockwise (looking down on it) and the float no longer hit the side of the tank. Fuel gauge is working properly now.

Advice: When installing a new pump/sending unit, drop the assembly in place. Then gently turn to the right (clockwise looking down) until you hear/feel the sending unit arm go up against the side of the tank. Repeat a few times so you are not mistaken. Then back the assembly off to the left (counterclockwise) 10-15 degrees and you should be good to go. Of course if your tank is full of gas it might not be so easy to hear/feel the arm float hitting up against the tank.

Last edited by bronze; 08-18-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:05 PM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres 2 hash marks on the tank and a arrow on the pump module. if you point the arrow between the marks you shouldnt have to fool with twisting the module back and forth against the tank wall

Old 10-06-2018, 10:35 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by crazyjerry
theres 2 hash marks on the tank and a arrow on the pump module. if you point the arrow between the marks you shouldnt have to fool with twisting the module back and forth against the tank wall
Never noticed it Jerry. Good information! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge