1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Engine overheat

Old 09-25-2018, 12:12 AM
Millrat2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine overheat

I have been dealing with an overheat problem. 1994 Dodge Dakota. It has a new radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, and 318 V8 engine. It never overheats until I pull a heavy load. Like my camp trailer. It has come down to not enough air. The transmission cooler is mounted right on the outside of the engine radiator. It has a finer set of fins and takes up more than half the surface of the main radiator. I cannot think of a better place to mount the transmission cooler. Any ideas?

Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

How old is your radiator? Water pump? Last time you flushed the cooling system?

Old 11-12-2018, 02:36 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My 94 Dodge B250 never had a problem pulling my tandem axle cargo trailer, even in the mountains, it had 318 and OD trans, the 'light' 3/4 ton version of the B van. There should be no reason you're overheating unless your water pump isn't moving coolant, stat isn't opening or radiator is insufficient.

My first suspicion would be bad pump but if it's new as you say then I would say maybe your system isn't big enough. Is your radiator a 1, 2 or 3 row version? I noticed on my 94 3.9 Dak when I replaced the radiator from decay that it was a very thin 1 row setup. The replacement, which was a used unit, was a thicker 2 row version. I remember the same situation on my B250 when I replaced the failing 1 row unit with a 3 row HD radiator from a slightly older model. I also added a trans cooler that the other van had too.

This is all I have to offer, but hope you find the issue.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine overheat