1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Headlight and Cluster switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 12:14 AM
Pyrofull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Headlight and Cluster switch

I have and 88 Dakota and recently like a few nights ago I went to turn on the headlights and while I was still on the **** just as I was turning it on a mildly like spark had occurred and the cluster lights went out and I’m like wtf but what’s weird is that my height beam light still working so I’m like uuhhhh... so I thought it be nothing at first so I tried it again and nothing happens just only my headlight and the overhead works so I’m like ok damn. So next morning I went to take/pull the switch out and I noticed the spring was all dangling out moving about so I felt like that ain’t right it shouldn’t be doing that, so I unplugged the switch from harness to further examine it and found that the spring was broken, so I went to go get a new switch which has a better modern build but has the same principle build like the old one and should work the same way, so I plugged in the new and nothing happens the only thing that works is the high beam light and the overhead that’s it, not even the cluster light ain’t even coming like it suppose to. Well today as of the evening when it was getting dark enough I had quickly noticed something strange as I went to turn on the light, the cluster li that came on and back off in a flash, so I was like oh ok that part works but it doesn’t work when the headlight turns on. So I figured let’s p lay with the switch and see what triggered that cluster and found that the way it **** is positioned in a odd spot the cluster will actually work but the head light dont, so now I thought the new switch is faulty so I’m like ok let’s plug in the old switch in after I had glued the spring back in place, and see if will work, WELL..... nope just headlight only thing that works nothing else. So I’m like wow this switch is dead for sure. But what so odd I found is that when the headlight is on while the cluster isn’t on my backlights and license light don’t work, it will only work when the cluster light works. So since I figured that the cluster still works on the new switch I had something n my mind with a better idea but I don’t know if it will work, is to rewire the wires into custom rocket toggle switches. Do anybody think it might be doable or no?

Old 05-14-2021, 07:30 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Uhh ...

Sounds like a bad switch to me.

IF it comes on at all, it's moving through the contact point; it's just not staying there.

I'd replace that switch again - claim the warranty on it.

(After that, do consider replacing the connector if possible. Solder and heat shrink, don't butt crimp them.)

And yes, the tail and license lights are on the same switch position.

Have you picked up a copy of the factory service manual for the wiring diagrams yet? I'd HIGHLY recommend that.

RwP

Quick Reply: Headlight and Cluster switch