1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

ECM programing

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 12:43 PM
ydog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool ECM programing

i need to replace the ECM on my 1997 Dakota. all i can find on my regular sites are rebuilt but that's not my concern. some say factory programed, and some say flash programming needed. what is flash programming??

Old 11-21-2023, 12:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Originally Posted by ydog
i need to replace the ECM on my 1997 Dakota. all i can find on my regular sites are rebuilt but that's not my concern. some say factory programed, and some say flash programming needed. what is flash programming??
A lot depends on the year of the truck. For your 97, worst case you would need to have it programmed with the correct VIN. Otherwise, various other system may whine about it. Generally, the place selling the PCM will ask for your vin, and mileage, and send you a pre-programmed, plug and play PCM. That is, assuming then send you one that actually WORKS...... That's the tricky part. Some 'remans' are just a coat of paint...... and the one you get in the mail has more issues than the one you are replacing..... I like to go local for PCM's and such, that way, if there is a problem, I can speak to someone face to face..... and don't have to deal with shipping, etc.

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (11-21-2023)

Quick Reply: ECM programing