1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Where is My Coolant Disappearing?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
Dibbons
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where is My Coolant Disappearing?

I recently made a 3,000 mile road trip in our 1996 3.9L five-speed without a problem on the highway (now has 299,000 miles and purchased new by my father). In recent weeks, I have added almost a gallon of coolant/water two different times in the radiator and overflow bottle. I borrowed a coolant system pressure tester from AutoZone and it seemed to hold pressure at 16 psi. I have never seen a leak anywhere either. Where is this liquid going? I have not noticed any decrease in engine performance or drive-ability either. This is my daily driver, so I need to fix this problem before it balloons into something major. Thank you.

Old Today, 07:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,398 Likes on 3,138 Posts

There is a bypass hose under the a/c compressor, that likes to rot out, and leak, but, the coolant pools on top of the timing cover, and boils off, before you see much of a drip on the ground. Though, one would think, the pressure tester "Should" catch that one.... Another option is a failing head gasket..... You can get a test kit for that at your local parts store......

The following users liked this post:
Dibbons (Today)

Quick Reply: Where is My Coolant Disappearing?