1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How to check for the check engine codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 07:07 PM
hitandrun83
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check for the check engine codes

Here's the story....Went to pay a fine, got back into the truck, went to pull out of the parking space and it died within 5 minutes. At first, it sounded like it wanted to start so bad, but just wasn't getting there. Later on, it didn't sound as good as it had earlier. At first you can tell or smell thatit had gas going to the carb, but later on after i put some gas in the carb (stupid mistake) after cranking a few times, it sounded worse, and now when i crank i cant smell any gas. I checked the spark plugs with a spark testerand they show there is spark. I haven't checked the ones coming off of the distributer cap, meaning that i confirmed the plugs are fine, rather the wires are not tested.I wanted to check the codes coming from the check engine light but am not sure how to do it exactly. Can anyone help with this or help me figure out what may be wrong with it? I appreciate it! Thanks!

Jake

Old 07-14-2007, 07:11 PM
hitandrun83
Rookie
Default RE: How to check for the check engine codes

my apologies, i found out on dodgerules86? post on the general 1 faqs... thanks anyway, could use some ideas though bout the not smelling the gas part..

jake

Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 PM
hitandrun83
Rookie

i have the following error codes 12, 17 and 33. would anyof this cause the truck to not start?

Old 07-14-2007, 09:45 PM
DirtyBeds

33is A/C clutch relay circuit
12 means the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 starts
and
17 means the engine isn't reaching operating temp. according to the PCM...

12 COULD be a short in the wire that supplies the constant hot to the PCM for it's memory.
33 should only affect how cold(if at all) the A/C gets and 17 Is either someone has put a colder than OE thermostat in it or the coolant temp sensor is bad...
when the truck ran did you geta reading on the temp guage? if not try that lil $4 sensor.

the only one of your codes that I can see causing a no-start issue would be 12.. check out the wiring around the PCM all the way to the powerbox behind the battery, paying special attention to the fuseable links. feel for worn or broken wire, feels like overcooked spaghetti...Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:11 PM
stevewieg
Default fuseable links

I was reading one of your replies about car won't start and had mentioned fuseable links. Let me tell you what is happening to my 2002 dodge neon. I will be driving down the hwy. and it is like someone disconneted the battery I will loose everything, all gauges go dead, the car jolts reallll badddd, about throw me thru the windshield then and its just like for a few seconds and everything will be fine. Then sometimes when i go to start the car it will me dead. No clicking or nothing and I will loose my clock time too like you disconnected the battery. Okay we switched out the negative cable ran for a week and started up again then changed the starter relay and has run good for a few months now is acting up again. I was wondering what you thought about the fuseable links. I also check the codes and it was 10. I would appreciate any help

Old 08-29-2008, 05:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Did the battery die or have you disconnected it? If you have that is what the 12 code is.

I think you need to check the fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: How to check for the check engine codes