1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96 3.9 won't idle after waterpump change

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:17 AM
mauser95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 3.9 won't idle after waterpump change

Just replaced the water pump on my 96 3.9. Started it up to check for leaks and the engine was surging. Decided to road test and the check engine light comes on and if I lift off the throttle she stalls (also backfires). Did the key thing and came up with 14 - MAP sensor electrical circuit. Did find that the sensor had somehow become unplugged. Replugged and still won't idle. Am letting it sit overnight with the battery disconnected. Hoping this will clearany fault codes in thecomputer but would like to hear if there might be something else to look at. Prior to changing the waterpump had no fault codes. Thanks for any replies.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:18 PM
codydakota
Captain
Default RE: 96 3.9 won't idle after waterpump change

it's possible you just ran into a new problem in the midst of getting your new water pump, I had an extremely similar problem with my '95 and it turned out to be a ground wire with poor continuity.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:39 PM
mauser95
Default RE: 96 3.9 won't idle after waterpump change

Thanks for the reply. Yep, one of my three "helpers" managed to loosen the connector for the MAP sensor. Unfortunately, once we figured that out, we realized the bypass hose was leaking and had to take the alt., a/c, and mounting bracket off again. At least this time we managed not to disconnect any other wiring. Oh well, only lost 3 days of vacation on this [&:], could be worse.

Quick Reply: 96 3.9 won't idle after waterpump change