1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Blower/Blower Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:16 PM
JohnTheodore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower/Blower Motor

ok, after several hours of work removing all the plastic crap covering the motor I could finally see it. I started up my 95 Dodge Dakota Sport(3.9L 4WD), and the blower would not start. So I removed the blower/blower motor. and hooked it directly to the battery. The motor seems to have been stuck, it took several seconds connected to the battery for it to start. And then anytime I connected it after that..it started right away. So I hooked the motor back up to the wiring in the cab , and when I start it, and put the blower on with the control it works fine.

I believe the motor will eventually just get stuck again, and it was a PITA to remove all that plastic and **** in the way, so I was going to buy a new blower/blower motor. It costs $42 USD at pepboys, and I thought to myself...when the motor worked a year ago..it wasn't that powerful to begin with. Is it possible to buy a different motor(more powerful), but the same form factor, so it will be compatible with the truck. THe motor/blower is probably 10 years old, so there are probably more effecient systems now no? Has anyone on the forum done this before? I guess the blower would have to be a 4 speeds, like the stock one in the truck. And whatever design the motor/blower is..it would have to blow outward 360 degrees like this motor/blower does. If anyone has any ideas let me know please, or urls to a motor/blower that will be compatible.

Here is a URL to the motor pepboys sells: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtNumber=PM299 although it's almost twice as much on partsamerica compared to pepboys.

Anyway... any thoughts on this issue are appreciated. thanks

Regards,
John

Old 08-19-2007, 08:04 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Blower/Blower Motor

Haven't heard of anyone doing this, but I'm sure it can be done.
FYI, the blower does not have to be a four speed motor. How it works in our trucks is the blower is provided a constant 12V positive via the fuse. The ground wire for the blower goes to the resistor pack on the passenger side firewall, which than gets a ground via the fan control switch.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you can find one that fits without too much trubble. good luck.I think mine is powerfull enough. you should check to see if the blower motor is geting full power. it could also be the doors that switch the vent to face orwindshild or the floor. they could be stuck or you can have a vaccum leak. check that all before you change the system

Old 08-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Nicegy525
Veteran

replace the motor and the resistor. Also check the HVACduct systemand make sure it is all sealed properly.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 AM
BAnders
Veteran

im having a problem with my blower. when it is on "high" it blows like it is on "med" and it makes a funny noise too. i dont remember exactly but i think i replaced it in 05. open to suggestions.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Nicegy525
Veteran

pull it out and inspect it. There may be some junk buildup blocking it or it may have gone bad again. (did you buy factory or aftermarket/rebuilt?) also check the resistor pack for corrosion.

Quick Reply: Blower/Blower Motor