1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Brake Light/ Signal light question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:08 AM
RJTDakotaBoy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light/ Signal light question

So my brake lights and signal lights do not work on the 87 Dakota I am restoring. I have checked the bulbs and the wiring in the rear and everything is good so I am thinking go along the frame and check the wiring. If that checks out then I am thinking it's the singnal light clicker or the fuses. Any other ideas? Thanks

Old 08-21-2007, 04:39 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Brake Light/ Signal light question

Yea, I'd check all the wiring, but it could end up being the turn signal switch, but obviously, don't go running to replace this.
You might try using a wiring diagram and jumper wires at the electrial connector for the turn signal switch.
Go to the 1st Gen FAQs page and look about half-way down the page. I know there are differances between 1987 and 1990, but some of the chassis wiring might be the same,I don't know.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the fuses first! Then check at the light. to see your geting power. The best was is with a multimeter.Check the diagram that dodgerules86said.See if you have ground or power. If you dont have ground then make a jumper wire to put ground on that wire to see if it works. If you dont have power check the fues to see if it has power. If not put power on it see if it works then. If nothing then check the switch. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:19 PM
RJTDakotaBoy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty Thanks. I would go get on it but it looks liek it's gonna rain and it's cold and I'm not working in a garage

Quick Reply: Brake Light/ Signal light question