1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Weird problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:04 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problems

I was driving through KC during rush hour the other day and had to stop due to traffic and it was incredibly hot and humid out. I had been on the road for probably 30 minutes and had been sitting at a stop for about 3 minutes when the truck started running kinda rough and the oil dummy light started flickering then went away. Traffic started moving again so I began to move as well but the truck wasnt shifting out of first gear. It finally shifted around 30 or 35 then seemed to run ok. Until we had to stop yet again and the truck started doing the same thing. Becoming more concerned I pulled off and turned the truck off. I checked the oil and other fluids after letting it rest for about 15 minutes and everything checked out fine. So I got back in and it started and ran just fine all the way for about another hour til I got to my destination. My father believed that it was because I was running too light weight oilso Iswitched from 10w-30 Havoline to 10w-40 and the oil light hasnt come in since. out Butthe truck still doesnt want to shift out of first at times. I bought a new transmission filter and fluid and plan on changing that out tomorrow but I didnt know if anybody had any other suggestions? Thanks

Old 08-25-2007, 12:38 AM
codydakota
Captain
Default RE: Weird problems

check to see if yoou have an egr fault code (32), my '95 did this and after I replaced the egr it cleared up.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:40 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

Does that involve turning the key on and off like 3 times and waiting for the check engine light to flash?

Old 08-25-2007, 09:57 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

Well I tested my theory and sure enough it worked. I got error code 55. Anyone know what that means?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:03 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

Hehehe I just looked through the faqs and found 55 is the end of errors. So its entirely possible that the oil was causing the issue.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:14 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

Depending on the year and mileage of your truck I would also suggest using 10w40 for high mileage vehicles. I use Pennzoil myself.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:43 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

Currently sitting at 115,213. So I dont think its that time in its life to start using higher mileage motor oil yet. I also just changed the tranny filter/fluid and I have never felt something shift so smooth.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

According to the most oil maf. they say anything with 75,000 would need high milage oils. so your 115,000 miles would be under that. Your suposto change out all the fuilds in you vechicle every so often. that is a completedrain and refill, or flush. most car maf. recomend all trannys 30,000 mauel too. differantils every 50-75,000 cooling sys. 15,000 brakes fuild every 2 years I would also do the ac too at one time. more if you live in a humid locationor tow or haul or beat the sh*t out of it. it verrys but all fuilds do need to be changed out to give best peformance gas milage all of the good stuff.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:06 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

I change oil every 3000, Replaced the old champions with Autolites: Xtreme Performance Spark Plug, Just did the tranny flush, and filter,replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses 7 months ago, replaced front calipers and all brake pads 2 weekends ago. And I have the differential gasket and oil just havnt had a chance to get to it yet. I didnt realize that the "higher" mileage rating was at 75000 at present. I guess because I have owned vehicles in the past that have rolled over the 100,000 a couple of times and were still running strong. But in any case, I will see about getting to the differential project the weekend after next, try to get to the front differential at the same time.

Quick Reply: Weird problems