1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Air Conditioner Acting Funny

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:52 PM
Countryboy0158
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioner Acting Funny

Ok so to start withI have a 1995 Dakota... I've had the truck for about 3 years now and within that time the only issueI have had with the air conditioner is putting some freeon in it.
Now, my air does not work at all unlessI am actually driving down the road at a good 50-60mph and ifI increase my speed the air does not increase. The air blows at a constant speed of what feels like what the first setting is. It doesn't matter what setting it is on it always blows the same whenI reach those speeds and the air is not cold at all. Does anyone have an idea as to what could be wrong?
That is all the info that I can think of to provide to help out and I appreciate all the help I can get.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Air Conditioner Acting Funny

To me it sounds like you have a vaccum leak. the system uses engine vacum to control where the air goes. Check all hoses under the hood and under the dashbord. You didnt say if it does the same thing for the heater as far as the speed of the air is. It also could be your resistor for the fan. https://dodgeforum.com/upfiles/948/A...59A1DFA4FB.jpg it could also be low freeon or compressor not working. next time turn on the truck and the ac look under the hood to see if the ac compressor is turning. not just where the belt is but the entire round part.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Countryboy0158

ORIGINAL: Crazy4x4RT

To me it sounds like you have a vaccum leak. the system uses engine vacum to control where the air goes. Check all hoses under the hood and under the dashbord. You didnt say if it does the same thing for the heater as far as the speed of the air is. It also could be your resistor for the fan. https://dodgeforum.com/upfiles/948/A...59A1DFA4FB.jpg it could also be low freeon or compressor not working. next time turn on the truck and the ac look under the hood to see if the ac compressor is turning. not just where the belt is but the entire round part.
Ok soI checked all the hoses under the hood and none of them seem to be faulty. The resistor looks fine although there are two connectors that are in the area of the resistor that are not plugged into anything and don't seem to be related in any way. As far as the compressor goes, the belt is turning but i can hear a click atabout 9-10 second intervals. It's just one single click at that interval and it seems to be coming from the compressor area. Not sure if its normal or what (never noticed it before). I hope this helps the situation.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 AM
JohnTheodore

I had the same problem, I checked all my fuses, they work. I check the resistor, and it worked. I replaced the resistor anyway, since it's such a low cost part. Still didn't work, then I took out the blower motor and figured out it got stuck some how, when I directly hooked the blower motor to the battery, it got unstuck. From now on, the blower works fine, and I can control the blower using all 4 speeds etc. It's not cold air it's blowing, but at least it's blowing air. I did an R134 recharge, and still no cold air. Someone said on another thread that the compressor doesn't come on if there isn't enough pressure, and to manually short it. So I'm going to try that today and see what happens.

Regards,
John

Old 09-12-2007, 12:50 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Countryboy0158
Ok soI checked all the hoses under the hood and none of them seem to be faulty. The resistor looks fine although there are two connectors that are in the area of the resistor that are not plugged into anything and don't seem to be related in any way. As far as the compressor goes, the belt is turning but i can hear a click atabout 9-10 second intervals. It's just one single click at that interval and it seems to be coming from the compressor area. Not sure if its normal or what (never noticed it before). I hope this helps the situation.
The click at 9 - 10 second intervals tells me that you are low on refrigerant. You can either charge it yourself or take it down to your mechanic and have the system charged for about $70 (thats what it cost me the first time).

You mentioned that the air flow is greater at high speeds? Are you saying you actually hear the fan kick in at high speeds or you feel the air flow at high speeds? If it is the later of the two then your fan is not working at all what you feel is the air flow from the vent. I would replace the resistor pack under the hood. I thinks its under $10, from the dealer no less.

I had theidentical problem last summer. I had purchased the truck in the fall and didn't notice the A/C wasn't working. In the spring I took it to my mechanis and had him recharge the system. Asuming that the system was in good working condition I didn't give it another thought. I had ice cold air all last summer. This spring when I turned on the air, nothing but warm air. I decided to break out my old A/C guages from my old mechanic days and do it myself. I found a couple of leaks in the system and decided to simply recharge it for the summer and replace the entire A/C system over the winter. If I buy it one piece at a time it won't hurt as much...LOL

A tip to pass along. When I replaced my fan resitor pack for the third time, I decided to place it in a water tight project box from Radio Shack. I haven't had to replace this pack again due to shorting out. What a crappy design placing that thing under the hood where it can potentially get wet and short out. Sounds like they asked FORD for a better idea....[:-]
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Acting Funny