1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

distributor drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 PM
iraqvet
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor drive shaft

I got my engine back from the builder and began putting things back together but I'mquestioning the positioning of the distributorand the drive gear.I setthe #1 piston to TDC and attempted to set the distributorin the block but lost my match marks.I thinkthe cut out for the dist. wiring should be at about 11 o'clock (looking from the front) and the rotor should point to the #1 point on the distributor cap. While I was trying to set this up I pulled the distributor drive gear out of the block. Are there marks that need to be aligned with the cam a certain way?

[IMG]local://upfiles/72216/2A7B46C42F31465981DF3C3EFEB36250.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: distributor drive shaft

The distributor does not need to be alined with the cam in any spacific way. The way the rotor looks from my memory looks how mine is. The only thing that needs to line up is the #1 plug wire on the cap and the rotor. The cap only goes on one way. So set up the dis. with all the wires. Then set up the cap with the plug wires. You could put #1 where ever you want. Make sure you put them in the correct order. (1834672) I belive itis this.On top of theIntake man.its listed.Then position the cap where every wire has enough room to move. Then postion the dis. according to the way you have the cap and postion the rotor closest to #1 that you can. Then when you have that done rotate the dis. Untill it lines up with #1. Good luck if you need more info let me know.

Quick Reply: distributor drive shaft