1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1991 Dakota 4X4 - Bringing it back to life

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 03:26 PM
pebcak2000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Dakota 4X4 - Bringing it back to life

I purchased a used 1991 Dodge Dakota 4x4 shortly after I purchased my Charger in July of 2007. I sold my '94 Grand Caravan in June and the Dakota is it's replacement. Yes, I used my Caravan as a light truck.

I only paid $800 for the dakota being that it has over 244,000 miles on it. It is 5.2L V8 with an automatic, 4x4 with extendend cab. Very little rust only a little surface rust. However the paint job is real bad as primer is showing everywhere Truck came from rural South Dakota before I brought it to the Twin Cities Minnesota. It drives pretty good but has a few issues but hey....the AC works great! The interior is in excellant shape. Motor runs strong (with no load).

Here are some know issues with questions for all of you Dakota Experts
1. Needs new exhaust - complete. Midas gave quote of $300.00
2. Engine seems to run rich and backfires sometimes stalls. Could this be partly from the exhaust issue (there basicly is not exhaust system intact)
3. Some rust on rearchrome bumper. Where is a good place to get areplacement chrome bumber?
4.Some play in the steering - will have front end inspected by mechanic
5.Any common issues with transmissions? My jerks a little between gears but the engine is jerking a little as well so it is difficult to determine cause.
6. For a decent paint job - one color about how mucham I looking at??

Ihave replaced the spark plugs, air filter, crank case filter, pcv vavle and plug wires for starters.

Many may argue thatthis is not worth fixing up but the way I look atit is the body is solid and parts are cheap compared to a newer dakota

Thanks in advance

Old 09-28-2007, 10:03 PM
iraqvet
Professional
Default RE: 1991 Dakota 4X4 - Bringing it back to life

I'm not sure about paint shops up north but the lowest quote I got for a paint job in Kansas City was from Maaco. For their "mid grade" paint on an extended cab two-tone truck, they wanted $1350. On your bumper, check Craig's List under auto parts and search for Dakota...I see a few people parting out early Dakota's in the twin cities.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Nicegy525
Veteran

Test the compression first! no sense in fixing up a motor with a crack in the block. New exhaust, O2 sensor. check the map sensor. Check for gasket leaks, intake, valve covers, front and rear main crankshaft seals. May as well put a new ignition coil on it. change ALL fluids, including full transmission flush and new filter.

When it comes to paint jobs, you get what you pay for. I paid $400 to have mine done and it looks every bit of $400. (but tons better than it did before). Peeling paint is a b!tch to fix. Lots of sanding time involved. If you dont care about perfection or it lasting more than a couple years go with Maaco or even Earl Scheib for the cheapest.

Call around and find a used bumper, you could get the current one re-chromed but its probably more expensive.

I bought my dak for $400 and $2,800 later it looks, drives and sounds great!

Old 09-29-2007, 12:05 AM
codydakota
Captain

As long as you take care of the trans you should be fine, they are known to fail, but if you take care of it, it should last as long as you own the truck

With a v8 in one of these, it's a little hard LOL

Old 09-29-2007, 02:20 AM
pebcak2000
Professional

Great advice everyone. That makes sense have the compression tested first. Some of these things I can test out myself but I have a local trusted garage for most everything else. I will have them do a one over for the recommend items.

I may go with a cheaper paint job to start off with and if I really get this puppy runing strong and smooth....I will repaint it properly. Dont get me wrong....as it is right now it is a great $800 truck. Bought the truck about 70 miles from home and drove it here no problem with the ac (except for the back fire once in a while).

Will a massive exhaust leak (exhaust needs to be replaced) cause backfires? My memory says yes but it has been a few years since I played with vehicles with charater

Old 09-29-2007, 02:21 AM
pebcak2000
Professional

I will have to take some photoss so I have a starting reference point. The sides look pretty good actually.

Quick Reply: 1991 Dakota 4X4 - Bringing it back to life