1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 PM
95V8Dakota4x4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Filter

Do you need to replace the fuel filter? I've got a clogged filter and weak pump, so I'll be dropping the whole shebang and replacing everything, maybe even the tank itself. It might be worth it to drop the tank just so you can clean it out properly...these tanks are plastic right?

Old 11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

Maybe I am confused here, but on my 93 dakota, there should be a "Sock" type of filter on the pump itself, then there is an external filter right where Crazy4X4RT said it was.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:44 PM
95V8Dakota4x4
Professional

Read the thread, dukesupes.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you missed it DukeSupes,I think I got everyone confused at first because I didnt know the years changed. Fox pointed it out.
The 93and down has the external filter and the external fuel pressure regulator and and internal filter.
The 94 and up dont have an external filter and has an internal filter and internal fuel pressure regulator.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:02 AM
fox
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just gives me another reason to love my 93 dak [sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 11-05-2007, 10:51 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

ORIGINAL: FoxRocker

well i quess im gonna have a fun time doin that filter then.
Wat do you guys think would be the esier way out? drop the tank, or lift the box, and then just pull out the fuel pump assembly with the filter??

Thanks for your help..
Lifting the box seems like more trouble than it's worth. As long as you drain the fuel from the tank before you start working on it, the tank is quite light. Mine's plastic and holds 22 USgals. I presume this is standard for 95' 4x4 extended cabs with the 5.2 L V8.

I drained the fuel from my tank, dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump assembly completely. I figured with my luck if I just replaced the filter the pump would go bad then I'd have to that all over again. If you do decide to replace the whole unit, make sure you make note of where the float is in the tank. If you replace the unit and the float that activates the guage is in the wrong spot you will get faulty fuel readings. In other words it'll say you have 1/2 tank when your running on fumes and you won't know til your fuel light comes on. Also be very careful when disconnecting the wires before you drop the tank. Mine were very brittle and I broke the sending unit wire and had to splice in a new piece.

Hope this helps..

Old 11-05-2007, 09:29 PM
FoxRocker

How much did this cost you to do?? (dont worry about the conversion because our canadian dolllar is much better than the american dollar)

ya maybe if it is affordable i will try to do that within the next few weeks

Old 11-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I acculay think it may be easyer to take off the bed, depending what your curcomstances are. Like for me, when my fuel pump died I just filled the tank full so thats when I decided to change it since mine guage and pump didnt work. Now I would have tooken out the gas from the tank but I didnt have anything to put 22gals in. And to keep it clean. So if there is toomuch fuel inside the tank the best is to take off the bed. It is only 6 bolts. And it is not that heavy, 2 people can lift it back enough to where you can get to the tank opening. But if you could get the tank as close to empty as you can, droping it is not so bad. Just remember your going to have to lift the truck enough to slide itcompletly out. So make sure you have a largeenough jack to lift.Mine costed me $200 US.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter