1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

gas gauge problem, anyone else?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Razoroth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: gas gauge problem, anyone else?!

Are you running A/C, heater, or just the fan most of the time? Because running the A/C I do about 220-240 miles to a tank, this is with the 15 gal tank btw. the3.9l v-6with no a/c and no blower fan running will get normally around 20 miles to the gallon if driven normally without stomping the pedal and gas dumping all the time like I do (lol!). Just as an example, I recently developed a leak in my coolant system, leaking antifreeze into the cab and burning off through the vents, causing heated smoke and steam to fog the winshield during morning and nights (even during cool days sometimes). I don't like the idea of ripping my dash apart, because due to my ADHD, I tend to forget things and it will never get put back together the right way, or at all, lol. So my fix for this was simple, I drained the system, filled with water, drained again to flush after running it for a few minutes, then refilled with nothing but water. Now all the burns off is steam, which I counteracted by leaving the blower fan on vent on defrost. Now, NOT THINKING ABOUT GAS I left it on during every ride I took, dropping my normal 140 miles on 20 bucks, to sputtering out of gas going up an overpass in town at 121 miles from the gas station. So this shows just how much the blower alone will eat your gas, much less the a/c. If you are using the heater or a/c i would suggest not doing so until you fix your gauge issue, because trust me, I've ran this truck out of gas at the worse places with no phone, no help, and no gas can about 7 times in the past 6 months. I'd hate to see this happen to anyone else. It's bad enough I have lower back problems, running out of gas, and having to solo-push this mini-TANK down the road out of traffic, lol.

If you need any more info about the process, or run across any problems while doing so, please post and I will help you in any way I can.

-Raz

Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 PM
92BLACKLS
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn dude I have the 22 gal tank and I calculated that im getting 11 mpg!! I dont use a/c specialy now and when I did it wasnt that much different because I change out the freon. But **** man I get ****ty mileage and I don't drive around like bandit or the night rider so I wonder what it is....maybe leaky injector I don't know.....

Oh and my gauge works when is its full and it will give me the loq fuel warning light as well so I can monitor it.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 AM
netentity

I'm on my second replacement fuel sending unit since I've owned my Dakota (second owner). Unfortunately it's a chronic problem with Mopar fuel sending units at least that's been my experience. The last one seems to be holding up ok.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:34 AM
hemichuck
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my 92 LE and I fixed it once but it only lasted a few months.The gas tank is not hard to drop if its empty.My truck had a low fuel indicator on the dash(little yellow gas pump)I knew when the gas pump showed up I had about 30 miles to find a station. It was like that for around 8 years till the truck got totaled.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Danny~G
Rookie

same here it works fine till about a half a tank then it does the show and bounces around and im getting 25 mpg in my v8 4wd but all i run in my truck is synthectics and 91 or better octane.[:@] it hurts the wallet but its worth it, but thanks ill replace the sending unit and see what happens from there[sm=hail.gif]

Quick Reply: gas gauge problem, anyone else?!