1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Battery/Voltage Problem PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 PM
V8DAKOTAV8
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery/Voltage Problem PLEASE HELP!!

Hey everyone. I was driving my truck this afternoon and I looked down and my GEN light was on and the volt gauge was reading 16-17 volts. I turned on everything to use some juice because i figured the voltage regulator was going bad. Eventualy with the headlights on, a/c on, and radio turned up the light went out and the gauge dropped to normal, but when came to a stop sign or light, it would drop to around 10. I brought it home, hooked up the computer and everything now seems fine. I tried starting it up again and it had a rogh time starting. I then thought that maybe it is the battery itself because it had to relearn the idle and my check engine light was on because i have a bad O2 sensor. once it finally started it ran awesom and the check engine light is off. Do you think the problem is the battery itself?? it would make sense because it seemed to reset the computer. any help would be appreciated!!! thanks a bunch.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:23 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Default RE: Battery/Voltage Problem PLEASE HELP!!

9 out of 10 times I run into that all it is is the battery posts and cables need a good cleaning. Wire wheel on a drill on the battery posts and sand paper inside the cable connectors. Try that first it's free.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree! just check the battery termanls and check the alterator wires make sure everything is nice and tight and clean. If everything is okay take it to a pepboys autozone, most parts stores will test the battery and altenator for free while it still is in the truck.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:38 PM
V8DAKOTAV8
Rookie

Ok. thanks a bunch. I did notice that the wires at the battery terminals are pretty corroded. Sounds to me like i just need to clean them. Thanks so much guys. appreciate it.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:09 AM
95V8Dakota4x4
Professional

I wouldn't be surprised if your voltage regulator is on the way out. I have a Cavalier that starts charging erratically after a couple months, it'll be fine sometimes and other times it will be charging around 16v. I can't wrap my head around it, but at least since the first alternator I bought the rest have been under warranty...

Old 11-03-2007, 11:21 PM
V8DAKOTAV8
Rookie

well just so everyone knows..i took the truck to the garage today to have everything tested and it turns out the battery is just shot. not surprising..the date punched out is from 6 years ago...go figure.

Quick Reply: Battery/Voltage Problem PLEASE HELP!!