1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

87 dakota starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:37 PM
dgavob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 dakota starter problems

hello, i have an 87 dakota 2.2. its got no ac., no turboand a manual tranny. does any one where i can dl wire diagram for this year? i went to start it and the started just clickes and didnt spin. i removed i thinkin it was bad. i hooked the started to a live battery and it turned over. does this mean its good? im getting an ohm reading of .3 from the case to the terminal after the relay. am i in the right neighborhood with that? and when i jumped it i jumped the relay to close and put the + befor the relay. im wondering if the starter could be working outside the car cause theres no load on it or is more like either it works or it dont. any help would be appreciated. im tryin to dl a wire diagram but theres not much comming up on google for an 87 2.2.
p.s i did check the battery in the truck and had 12 volts.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:09 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Default RE: 87 dakota starter problems

When they start to go bad they work then don't work then work again. If you had left it in thetruck and just tapped on it with a rod or something it most likely would have worked. By removing it and handling it same effect, caused it to work. Clean your battery posts and connectors and put it back in. At some piontif it clicks only then tap it if it works time for a new one.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:20 PM
dgavob

ok thanks a million. what if the motor seized what would the starter do then? just click ?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

ORIGINAL: dgavob

ok thanks a million. what if the motor seized what would the starter do then? just click ?
More of a "thunk" as the starter attempts to wrench the engine away from the transmission. If you're concerned about that, turn the engine over manually with a breaker bar to check.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
dgavob

do you know if theres anything inbetween electriaal?i turn the key to start, it closes the starter relay and walah right? do you know if this is a strait run electrically or do ya thinktheres some sort of control in between the ignition and the starter relay? im jst wondering if somthing else could be holding me up.

Quick Reply: 87 dakota starter problems