1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Cutting springs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:12 AM
pensacol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting springs.

I just put 3" blocks in the rear of my 93 Dak, and want to lower the front for a straight stance. I bought some of those coil springs clamps at autozone, but am kinda weary about them popping off, or moving around. Has anybody ever cut the coils on the front of one of these? If so about how much did you have to cut off? I am building this truck for show, and not really going to drive it much, so the ride doesn't concern me.

Thanks guys.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM
iraqvet
Professional
Default RE: Cutting springs.

I've cut coils on previous projects were no aftermarket springs or spindles were available. I'd say try cutting one coil wrap at a time and use a cut-off tool or plasma cutter to make the cut - never use a oxy/acetlyene torch. Personally, the Dakota springs were the hardest springs I've ever put in since they are short, under high tension and the a-arms don't have a lot of travel. You may want to opt for spindles of you have the money....I think I've seen them on eBay for under $250.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:33 PM
bmh689
Rookie

I got lucky and found a guy selling a full lowering kit on this site. My front is lowered by eibach springs, I only have 1" in front but I think that you can get more drop too. Check out there site.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I never cut my springs in the dakota. But on my TA. I did. I used a sawsaw. It took a while but It worked.

Quick Reply: Cutting springs.