1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel pump woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007 | 02:57 PM
95V8Dakota4x4
|
Professional
Default Fuel pump woes

So my truck was running fine yesterday when I parked it. This morning, I go out to fire it up and nada...turns over fine, lights are all on, but I can't hear the fuel pump prime. I checked for pressure in the fuel lines, nothing. Definetely fuel pump. Fuses under the dash all seem to be good (from the diagrams I found there are no fuses for the fuel pump but I checked anyways). I looked into the bad splice issue, but the relays are getting power. I tried swapping relays around, didn't help anything. Wiring all seems good. If it was bad, there should have been some kind of intermittancy anyways, at the least it should have died on me at some point. So all I can think of at this point is that the fuel pump is seized...not good news. Anything I've overlooked? Opinions?

Old 12-03-2007 | 03:10 PM
300hp318
Rookie
Default RE: Fuel pump woes

Did you check your fuel filter?

Old 12-03-2007 | 03:16 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

it could be your pickup coil in the distributor. when they go they cut off the fuel pump. check to see if you have spark at the spark plugs.you can even try to jump the fuel pump to see if it does work before ripping it out for nothing.

Old 12-03-2007 | 03:18 PM
Nicegy525
Veteran

squirt a bit of starting fluid into the intake. if it fires, youve got a fuel issue. Check your fuel filter first but it sounds like the pump went bad

Old 12-03-2007 | 03:27 PM
95V8Dakota4x4
|
Professional

Fuel filter is in the tank, it would probably run like *** for a while first before that shut her down completely anyways. It ran great yesterday, all the way home and once I parked it. This morning, nothing. If I have to drop the tank, I'll do it all, filter pump and sender...I hatedropping tanks.

I was going to check spark and for some reason I didn't, thanks for reminding me! I'll play around some more and report back.

Old 12-03-2007 | 03:50 PM
95V8Dakota4x4
|
Professional

The plot thickens.

There is no spark. Also, I smelled something funky under the hood, almost like burning electrical components. The smell seemed to be originating from the PCM..........[sm=headbang.gif]

It does have a JET Stage 2 module, and the first one I had gave me nothing but problems. I'm wondering if this is related...

Old 12-03-2007 | 10:18 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

as jonnymagnum said, before you actually pull the fuel pump, jump it. i would start by simply placing a jumper-wire in place of the fuel pump relay. if it works than, either the PCM isn't giving the relay a ground, or it is but the wire from the PCM to the relay is broke.
if that doesn't work, see if you can get to the power connector to the fuel pump, and put direct battery power to it. outcome is self-explanitory. i haven't messed around with the fuel pump, but id venture to guess the stuff is hard to get to [:'(]
you said you have a jet stage 2 module. try removing that and see if theres still a problem. also give the engine compartment a really good look around to see if you can find any evidenace from that funky smell.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump woes