1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Speedometer not working after crash

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Dakota92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer not working after crash

I lost control of my truck a few days ago on a patch of black ice. I went off the road and over a low median between the two lanes of traffic. I don't think there would have been much damage except my left wheels caught the concrete base of an old street light. I destroyed the rear rim and both tires on that side. I had it towed home and gave it a good looking over the next day. I carefully dug out a lot of snow and ice that had been jammed up around the front axle. Everything else looked ok.

I finally put four new rims and winter tires (which might have prevented the whole incident in the first place) on the truck today. I took it for a drive and thought everything was working great until I noticed the speedometer was staying at 0.

I'm pretty new to working on vehicles, this is my first truck, but I have been learning as I have been going. I thought I would see if any of the knowledgeable people here could point me in the right direction before I get the manual out and try to figure out what is wrong.

Anyway you look at it I was lucky, no one was hurt and if I would have been three feet more to the left the concrete would have ripped everything out from underneath the truck.

Truck details:
92 dakota, 5.2L V8, 2 wheel drive

Thanks for your time

Old 12-12-2007, 01:21 PM
OneBadKota
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speedometer not working after crash

Check the transmission, on the drivers side. Near the tail, there's a plug in for the speedometer cable, I can't remember if yours would be electric or manual. You could've broke something off there. Especially if you beat the bottom a bit.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:03 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Speedometer not working after crash

it could be the rear wheel speed sensor.. you probably knocked it off

Quick Reply: Speedometer not working after crash