1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

two part question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:23 PM
hitandrun83
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two part question

ive posted before about having a low oil pressure, mind you when i say low oil pressure im talking about the idiot gauge on the dashboard dropping off the scale after running the truck for 15 mins or so but when i drive it stays at the bottom line. Ive replaced the sending unit, oil screen, and oil pump. I did not get a chance to look at the main bearings to see how bad they were. What else other than an internal leak? it idles low, but what dodge dont have that or an oil problem? lol No i havnt taken an actual reading with a scaling device, only with the gauge itself. It runs fine regardless what the gauge says. or it did, second part of question..

I was driving to work and its a 15 min drive 55 mph tops, mile before work, it struggles to stay at 55, slowly drifts down to 35 and that was only because i had the pedal to the floor, it was chugging pretty bad. As i pulled it up to work, it died. Tonight i take it two blocks to a mechanic, because it starts up fine, on the way there i heard the loudest knocking ive ever heard. Now before when i tried cranking it, the starter pulled in fine, but when it was turning over i could smell the gas, meaning it was burning rich?? or putting to much into the engine?. before when i was driving it and it was slowly dieing to 35mph as it seemed like it wasnt getting gas or something. now when we were just checking routine, checking to see if the timing jumped, cant really smell gas too much with the air filter off.... tps bad? the timing chain has already been replaced this year. but you can hear something hit inside the engine, now ive been told that maybe the bearins in the rods, camshaft or whatever you call it, could be shot. any ideas? the transmission has been acting funny too, like it slips at 50mph, i added the lucas transmisson oil in it, whichcured it for a while...i know the belts do need replaced, they have some cracking done to it, but its never hurt it before,dont think thats the problem,ive had this truck for almost two years now.
1989 dakato 2rwd 3.9l v6 68k original miles, yes this is the actual miles. Bought it from a old man's grand daughter, he gave it to her, it was his fishing truck, he didnt fish much, she couldnt handle it with no power steering, the truck sprung a water leak, they musta drove it like that for a while or something, said it would overheat. Ended up buying it for 500 bucks, replaced the 58 cent freeze plug... speaking of water, the anticoolant looks fine, no milky! egr valve also has been replaced as well from a past repair job. no cat, its been cut out, although i have an ol rusty muffler that has a hole in it. it has plenty of air flow out of it. so what the thoughts guys? tell me something i havnt checked, i dont want to replace the engine.
**I checked the oil level, was only a quart low

also i want to add that i had 18, 33? which is about the tps, another code about the a/c clutch relay circuit, which this is an automatic.... dont know what that has to do with anything...

Old 12-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Cutlass84
Amateur
Default RE: two part question

I would put a cheap mechanical gauge on the truck temporarily just to verify, but it sounds like it's time for a new short bock.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:43 PM
hitandrun83
Rookie

you mean to get another engine right? well thought that was the case

Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya, I would just through another engine in it.... some times low miles isnt always better...

Old 12-20-2007, 07:25 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if a vehicle that old has that low of miles on it you can tell its been sitting for long periods of time. bearings get destroyed, gunk builds up in the oil system... along with a bunch of other things.

Quick Reply: two part question