1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

got a real mind boggler

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:56 PM
AirForceGuy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: got a real mind boggler

Okay, another shot in the dark.

Is your heated air intake system working correctly. It kind of sounds like symptoms of carb icing.

Here's an article I found:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...05/ai_n8795779

Heres how to test it:
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Gerry

Old 02-21-2008, 07:10 PM
steve_hanson2006

one thing is for sure and thats that my truck is without a doubt running rich. now i just gotta figure out why. I keep being told that the o2 sensor cant possibly have anything to do with my problem and yet my repair manual says that the o2 sensor uses the exaust to read its air fuel ratio. so just for the fun of it i decided that i would disconnect it and see what happens when i take it for a spin. well i did that and once it got disconnected it stopped smoking and it started working properly(well ok it ran but not the best) either way when i took it out for a spin it had one problem when it was out and thats to be expected from a tbi system without a o2 sensor but i restarted it and it worked all the way back home and the whole time the check engine light never came on, so could it be that it is my o2 sensor thats bad?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 AM
davester

had the same symptoms with a different truck and turned out to be the distributor. Not the distributor cap, the distributor.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i would try the o2 sensor

Old 02-25-2008, 06:55 AM
bionic4.0
Professional

just some thoughts but have you added a tru octain booster or ran some 93 oct in it

at least where i live the ethenol in gas is playing hell on cars and truck.
most say up to ten percent but abunch are running 10 % causeing the o2 system think you are running lean and comp for this

also have you put a fuel gauge on and open the valve in to a container to check the volume of the pump
hope this help but just some tuoughts

nate

Old 02-25-2008, 09:46 PM
bmrjoyce

Have a 92 dak. Had basically same proble, look under fuse box at the firewall on drivers side.
Take the tape off the wiring harness for about a foot or so & you'll find two to three splices,
one set is red,one blue & another I can't remeber the color. Pull them out & check for corroded
connectors. That is what it was on mine,plus the computor gets spiked too. you might need that, but drive it first & see.

Quick Reply: got a real mind boggler