1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

wont start HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:51 AM
annihiltr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start HELP

ok so yesterday i left work and the truck was fine, low on gas, by the time i got tot the gas station the fuel light came on, got gas and went to the bar, came out of the bar started up and drove home, about half way home it stalled, i started it back up and started to drive and it started running on less cylinders or so it felt like, this morning i wake go to start it, just turns over, fuel pressure is there.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:11 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: wont start HELP

You say there is fuel pressure. Is there spark? (If there is no spark going from the distributor to the plugs, than check the one running from the coil to the distributor)

Old 02-21-2008, 11:28 AM
bluesfool

Pull your plugs too and inspect them...I wouldn't be surprised to find one or two fouled with gunk.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:11 PM
annihiltr

i have spark

Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 PM
crazy
Rookie

this may not fix your problem but it happened to me when i first got my truck about 3 months ago,,was driving normally one day and pulled up to a traffic light and stopped ,,the truck just died ..it cranked over normally but wouldn't fire,,so i'm stuck in traffic at an intersection and luckily a guy stopped and helped me push it off the road ,,with no tools onhand and no clue as to why it stopped ...i call the tow truck and figured i'll get it home and then start checking things ,,when the wrecker came,,the guy asked what was the problem ..i explained how it was running great and just quit ,,he told me that he had worked in a dodge dealer and a truck came in with the same problem,,and the mechanics were baffeled ..after about 8 hours of checking this and that they deceided to start checking the wiring and it turns out there a main ignition wire located directly under the winsheild washer fluid bottle that sometime will corrode from people filling ther resevor up and spilling washer fluid on the wires ,,he shook the wiring under the washer bottle and said try it ..it started up and ran perfectly..he told me to unwrap the wiring when i got home and check it ,,well i did cleaned the conection and retaped it and have never had a problem since,, it costed me the hook up fee but was well worth the information learned,,but as a side note i'm more careful when filling it and and try not to spill any on the wireing harness,,made me wander how many people had the same problem and how much it costed in repairs before someone figured it out,,just a nickles worth of precautions for all ya dakotaholics like me out there,,lol,
crazy
crazy

Old 03-07-2008, 01:52 PM
95gotmagnum?

Thats pretty wild I have never heard that before

Old 03-08-2008, 07:21 PM
flyers win the cup
Professional

got any enemies that might have been at the bar. i had the exact same problem with my 89 dakota 3.9. i left the mall and it ran fine, about 5 min. later it died. after a couple of seconds it started again but ran like crap. i checked everything but found nothing. finally i ran off some gas into a bottle and it looked like beer not gas, had a green color to it (2 cycle oil).

if i were you i would check the tailpipe to see if its smoking, i always know when the gas is screwed because it smokes.

if someone dumps crap in your tank it takes a while for it to get into the injectors. you have clean gas in the lines and filter, when that runs out you hit the dirty gas. call me paranoid if you want, but after cleaning the crap out ofmy tank 40 times over the last 6 years to get it to work right i think im sort of an expert on the subject. every time the truck screws up i drain the gas, refill it with new gasand it works fine. the filter has been replaced 4 times a year, along with the fuel lines front to back, the tank and pump, throttlebody, most sensors, computer, fuel injectors. i go to the woods and leave the truck for hours (and i spend a lot of time in the back woods), come back and it works fine, go to a mall or anywhere in town, bingo! 5 minuites later it wants to die and starts to smoke. i tried a locking gas cap, but after that i found the undercoating spray seal along the filler pipe- gas tankrubber-had been broken.

and people wonder why im so cranky!

Old 03-08-2008, 11:28 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i had a 97 5.2 similar to what you had. the crank shaft sensor went bad on me 106.00 to replace. this controls the timing of the fuel injectors and the pulse for ignition, no worky no start

Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM
95gotmagnum?

Flyers win the cup sounds like you have to many enemys !!! Start carrying a pit bull in the bed of your truck

Old 04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
JeepHammer

Three words for you,

LOCKING GAS CAP!

Quick Reply: wont start HELP