1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 dakota reliability...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:00 PM
f.phipps
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 dakota reliability...

ok so my first truck caught on fire and is done.i was looking at trucks with my grandfather and we saw a real nice 94 dakota 4x4 with a v8.i really like it alot and hope to get it.it has 150k miles and is very clean.the thing i want to know is how reliable they are.i ask this because my grandfather is paying for it but i haev to pay him monthly for it.and if the truck craps out on me i still have to pay until it is all payedoff.so before i get it i would like to know what are some common problems(every car has them)and if it will last a few years.

thanks
fred

Old 02-25-2008, 05:45 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 94 dakota reliability...

These trucks are pretty reliable. A lot of people treat them like crap, don't do the scheduled maintenance, and they keep on going right along.
As you can tell from some of the other threads, some people are having problems with random dying/driveability/ile issues. I wouldn't say this is that widespread, however.

*The following is a copy 'n paste from another thread:*
Check the basic things: maintenance history, how does the truckjust plain look(does it look likes its at least been washed in the last 5 years?). Ask what parts they have had replaced. Is there dirt on the transmision (and other smaller parts, like the starter; or does it look like these parts have been replaced, possbily their having problems with something, like the transmission that was just replaced and its acting up again, and are just trying to get out from under it, and pawn it off on the next guy)
Take off the oil fill cap and see if theres anything nasty under it. What does the transmission fluid look like? Front and rear diff fluid? Transfer case fluid (which is supposed to be ATF, by the way)? Does the brake fluid and power steering fluid look like its older than a T-model? Does the coolant look clean? Radiator clean (remove the pressure cap)? (find a parking lot to do a couple figure 8's and listen for chatter from the rear end. If there is chatter, it's probably because when ever the rear diff fluid was last changed, if its limited slip, they didn't put in the proper additive, which is like $10 from Chrysler. If it has that noise, I would become curious. If the additive is added, and still has the noise, I would walk away from the truck, unless you want to put in a new rear end)
Any fluid leaks?
How do the tires look. Worn unevenly?

It's a Dodge, so pay close attention to the following:
How the transmission shifts, feels, etc.
Ball joints and tie-rods (or, the whole front end period) *Note- the steering can be effected by these two, so take note of how the truck stays on course and steers*

Any weird noises coming from the engine? (Sometimes the timing chains give problems, they came out with a differant setup for this, there is a TSB about it, I'll have to post it sometime) But, the engines were pretty much bullet-proof. People abuse 'em and they keep on going.

*Added*
Another thing, take off the air filter and look down the throttle body with a flash-light. What you are looking for is excessive oil, which is a bad thing. An oily film is ok, but if its puddled up, it means the intake manifold plenum gasket needs to be replaced. (If the engine has spark knock is could mean the same thing). There is a TSB for this, and you can view it here.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:59 PM
codydakota
Captain

Transmissions are a big one for these, check to make sure it shifts nicely thru all the gears or if it has a new or rebuilt trans, engines are awesome on these, just see my sig. Electrical, dash lights don't come on with headlights. Wire splice has a tendency to corrode causing a no start condition as the computer is off line when this happens, real easy to fix. Heater motor resistor corrodes causing the heater blower to stop working, easy to fix/replace.

I'm at well over 200k on my '95 and I've noticed these things eat brake pads. I've replaced my calipers for binding, my radiator at 160k, my water pump at the same time, idler pulley went out on me, it had a new trans when I bought it, replaced both hub/wheel bearing assemblies, piman arm, upper ball joints, front shocks, rebuilt the back brakes and have only had to change the shoes once in 100k, replacedrotors, had injectors cleaned out, fuel pump is starting to show it's age, replaced tires twice.Replaced cat and had custom duals built at that time, replaced EGR valve, belt tensioner, fan belt (went with idler).It only let me down once and that was when my wire splice ate thru.
I've put near 6k in mine in 4 years, but I also ride it hard and put it away wet, and it's got a crap load of miles on it. Definitely the best truck I've ever owned, which is why I bought my '93

Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 PM
f.phipps

so its a safe bet to go with the dakota?as long as i dont run it real hard it should be good?
because im only 17 and only work parttime so i cant afford alot of repairs.but i can only afford the older trucks.i love the way it looks and i read reveiws and it sounds great.i just have never driven a dodge before so im a little hesitant on switching to a new car company.no disrespect tho haha

Old 02-27-2008, 02:50 AM
00Pyro

I have 230k on my 95. Still running strong, the trans slips every now and then, but its been doing it since 180k when i got the truck, so im not worried about it. Both engine and trans are original. I have a had the waterpump, front driveshaft, and steering wheel clockspring go bad. Oh and the starter too.I beat the crap out of it, its been an awesome truck the three and a half years Ive had it.

Quick Reply: 94 dakota reliability...