1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Bench to buckets

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:37 PM
capricorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bench to buckets

I just purchased a set of bucket seats with center console out of a 97 kota to go in my 90. I read on this site that the install was simple, a little tweek to the front mounts and drill holes for the rear using fender washers to get more bite, (something like that).

Well I pulled my bench out today and started measuring and test fitting to find that it will be a pretty involved job. None of the holes match in the front and the angles are different from inside to outside holes. I can only use the inside mount holes to build a straight angle iron bar and then reinforce that with custom built/bent braces on the outside holes.

On the rear mounts I think the best way is to mount a one inch box iron to the origninal studs and use channel iron bolted down across that, (custom ground to match the floor contour), to bolt the seat to. The original height interfers with the seat track slideing all the way back.

I haven't yet figured out how I'm goint to clean up the install with the original rubber floor mat, (I hate carpet), but I'll figure that out after I get the hardware all bought, built and aligned.

Wish me luck fellers.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:43 PM
punkrock87
Default RE: Bench to buckets

I did a similar swap in my 93. Except i used seats from a Raider. Yours sounds alot more involved and I bet the seats are more comfortable. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:06 PM
capricorn
Default RE: Bench to buckets

Well they are done, it took all weekend to build the brackets and do a clean install but they turned out great, (most of the timeI was figuring things out). I've only driven it to the store to buy beer after I was done. They sit you up a little higher and I have more leg room. For sure my wife will be able to pull the seat far enough forward where the bench was restricted due to my B&M shifter. And they seem much more comfy with a nice high head rest and lumbar.

I now have to shell out for a decent set of covers to keep them protected.

Quick Reply: Bench to buckets