1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

no fire...need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 09:07 PM
sruby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: no fire...need help

I have the same problem with my 92 5.2 now.
was your issues ever solved and how did you fix the problem?

Old 09-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 93 5.2 and had the ground to the back side of the engine come loose. The ground bolts to the back side of the passenger side head. When this happened, the engine died. I looked in the Haynes manual and found the crank angle sensor. Unfortunately, there is no apparent test for it other than to replace it. The same holds true for the signal generator--sucks, I know, but if its in question. You might try pulling the plug on the SBEC, just make absolutely sure all power(Battery) is disconnected before you touch the connector to the computer. If you pull it while the battery is connected, the computer is fried. I had the same problem a while back and it turned out the be the computer on mine. If you look on pg 12-49 of the schematics, It shows a 8 volt input. Get a multi meter and have someone turn the engine over and see if you are getting the 8 volts to the crank angle sensor, on previous page, connector 24 is the reference pick up, make sure you have the 8 v at point 7 to the sensor , if no 8 volts, most likely the pcm is bad. Make sure you use the signal ground for the pcm at point 5.
If you have 8 volts going to the cas, try to start the engine and see if the 8 volts is being received at the reference point, if not the cas is bad.
]
Hope this helps

Old 11-05-2005, 01:42 PM
sruby

getting tired of messing with this truck.
wondered if a 440 would mount in this truck?
I have a 1974 440, 4-barrel with only 74k actual miles on it with a 727 automatic that shifts perfectly.
is there a kit i can buy to mount this motor and trans in this truck?

Old 11-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Chump
Captain

The pickup asm should look something like this and any auto parts store should have them. Maybe they are looking at the wrong line in their computer? If this is bad it will shut down the ASD relay and power to the coil and the fuel pump.

Ignition Pick-up Assembly

Old 11-11-2005, 09:32 PM
sruby

a brand new pickup coil has been installed.

but, thanks anyway.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:10 PM
92 dakota

i have found where the problem lies it is in the loom plug going to yor ecm on the passenger side i had the same problem and my truck would die we moved the plug on the puter and the check engine lite would come on and the truck would run it is in the pin wires going into the plug .replace the plug going into the puter and it will run fine