1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 PM
punkrock87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas gauge

Ok so I know this is a tired old question. And I know that faulty gas gauges were a weak point in the first gen Dakotas. Mine works when I fill the tank up for about 5 miles. When I brake hard, the gas gauge needle goes up and down, like the float is loose in the tank.Has anyone done anything to fix theirs? What did you do?

I just use my trip mileage and fill up when the gas light comes on. Usually every 200 miles on a full tank. This is getting old.Thanks for any help.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Gas gauge

There is a small write up in the FAQ on this section. I belive they say its a clip. Check all your conetions and wires.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Gummer
Professional

mine was the actual fuel pump. the circuit on the pump was all burnt.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 PM
noodle
Professional

Same problem that my buddy had, the gauge would work to an extent but never correctly. His float was actually getting hung up, so we took it out cleaned it up and put it back in. Works pretty good now, kinda floats around a bit but i think its as good as its going to get.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:23 PM
slugshot_90
Rookie

i have this problem i dont think its my fuel pump wires cause i had a brand new one put in when i bought the truck, were is the floater at on the truck so i can look at mien and clean it, cause my gauge moves around way to much and when im driving somewere the gas doesnt really go down but then when i park it and leave it for a couple of hours the gauge drops like it takes a while to settle

Quick Reply: Gas gauge