1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

truck of death

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:35 AM
miniderblank
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck of death

So tonight I was driving back from church and my truck like die on me therpmsshot down to zero the truck like shut of for a second then truned back on and then there is a like 5 second pause then it does it again and repeats like 4 times and then stops only this time it shut the whole truck down and have no idea what it would be i really need to fix this

Old 05-01-2008, 09:51 AM
codydakota
Captain
Default RE: truck of death

Could be a number of issues, I would check for codes first, turn the key fore and aft w/o turning the engine 5 times and the codes will read out in blinks, 1 blink followed by a brief pause then 2 blinks = 12. See what that brings up first and let us know what you get or don't get

Old 05-01-2008, 04:51 PM
gillisfire20

Well my friend I fell your pain, I got a simular problem. I got some good suggestions on fixes, it might not be the same as what you are experiancing but still worth a look.......

https://dodgeforum.com/m_1292992/tm.htm

Old 05-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Truck Dude
Veteran

https://dodgeforum.com/m_63384/tm.htm

that willl help you check your codes. and i would also check your fuel filter and IAC motor, this is from the FAQ's

My truck idles odd, or does not idle at all- It could be an Idle Air Control (IAC) motor problem. This is mounted on the back of the throttle body. It has a pintle that moves in and out (to control air flow to the engine when the engine is idling). You can take it off and clean it up and see if that helps. Also, while you have it out, have a helper turn the key on (but do NOT start the motor) while you look at it. The pintle should move (be "set" in place).

hope it helps.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Truck Dude
Veteran

this may help too...https://dodgeforum.com/m_1292992/tm.htm

Old 05-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Truck Dude
Veteran
Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 AM
soar_dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for shorts in you electrical system. I had a similar problem in my 93. It turned out I had some corrosion in firewall wiring plug on the drivers side. I also had a shorted alternator. easy way to check is disconect the negative terminal and put a check light on the negative terminal of the battery and the other end on the cable if it lights up you have a short somewhere.

Soar Dude

Quick Reply: truck of death