1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need help ASAP please 88 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:27 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Need help ASAP please 88 dakota

Great to hear your up and running!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:51 PM
pete5826
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help ASAP please 88 dakota

Once I am sure it is not a fluke and is up and running regularly, then it is time to do some body work and paint it.....and then take the 87 2wd, 2.2 5sp.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:29 PM
dcorym
Default Similar Problem - RE: Need help ASAP please 88 dakota

Hi all:

New member here, but I've owned four G1 Daks. My latest is an '88 that was running fine until the trans (manual) went out a few months ago. I replaced it with a reman, but it has not started ever since! What replacing the trans has to do with starting, I don't know - I suspect I inadvertently damaged something, but I don't know what. Anyway, my symptoms are pretty much the same as Pete's, except there was no gradual onset - the thing started great right up to the trans replacement, and hasn't started since. I've done most of the tests in this thread, as well as replacing: coil, distributor pickup, ASR relay and PCM (used). Nothing has made a difference. I am not getting spark from the coil. In my Haynes manual, there is a test where you jumper pins 2-3 of the pickup, which is supposed to give you a spark from the coil - I hear the relay kick in, but there is no spark. Someone mentioned checking all the fusible links, but that looks like a major PITA to me. Is there a reasonably easy way to do that? Also, I am having trouble figuring out the wiring diagrams in the manual. My main issue is where they show many wires coming together at a black dot that is labeled something like "N5". Sometimes these have the word "splice" next to them, but I can't find any of these splices!

Any ideas or help with the diagrams would be very welcome! Like Pete, this is driving me crazy!

TIA, Dan

Old 06-02-2008, 05:04 PM
dcorym
Default RE: Similar Problem - RE: Need help ASAP please 88 dakota

I figured out the wiring diagram question - thanks to the full diagrams in the FAQ! Thanks for that. But still looking for help on the main issue - WHY WON'T THIS THING START!

I probably should have mentioned, the thing cranks like a champ, so nothing wrong with the starter circuit.

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP please 88 dakota