1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'88 Won't start - ideas, please!Hi all:

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:45 PM
dcorym
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88 Won't start - ideas, please!Hi all:

Hi all:
I originally posted the paragraph below as a follow-up to this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/m_1320197/tm.htm, but I wasn't getting any replies, so I hope it's OK to start a new post. Refer to that original thread for some of the stuff Pete went through when he was troubleshooting.

New member here, but I've owned four G1 Daks. My latest is an '88 that was running fine until the trans (manual) went out a few months ago. I replaced it with a reman, but it has not started ever since! What replacing the trans has to do with starting, I don't know - I suspect I inadvertently damaged something, but I don't know what. Anyway, my symptoms are pretty much the same as Pete's, except there was no gradual onset - the thing started great right up to the trans replacement, and hasn't started since. I've done most of the tests in this thread, as well as replacing: coil, distributor pickup, ASR relay and PCM (used). Nothing has made a difference. I am not getting spark from the coil. In my Haynes manual, there is a test where you jumper pins 2-3 of the pickup, which is supposed to give you a spark from the coil - I hear the relay kick in, but there is no spark. Someone mentioned checking all the fusible links, but that looks like a major PITA to me. Is there a reasonably easy way to do that? Also, can someone give me specific instructions on how to bypass or jumper the ASR? I don't entirely trust the one I bought, as it did not fit the original housing and had a different part #.

TIA, Dan

Old 06-03-2008, 07:53 PM
codydakota
Captain
Default RE: '88 Won't start - ideas, please!Hi all:

There really isn't an easy way to check the links, you'll need to cut the tape and check

Old 06-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The easyest way is get a meter. Disconnet battery. Then check for ohms on both sides of the fuseable link. Or if you have voltage on one side. Check the other. I would suggest make sure your hearing the asd realy work. Its easy to remove the plastic cap on top of the realys. Visully varrify it. You might just be thinking you hear it because of the starter realy. Next if it is clicking. Check the ouput. Make sure its a full 12vts postitive. If your not then trace the wire to to the input. Its realy simple.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 PM
dcorym

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll probably dig into it again this weekend. I know which are the input and output from the relay (red and green), but can I just ignore those other two wires? One's for the fuel pump, I believe - don't remember what the other one does.

Quick Reply: '88 Won't start - ideas, please!Hi all: