1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

odd engine "tick"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:46 AM
mes323
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd engine "tick"?

I've had my 1995 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 4x4 for about 2 years now and I love it blah blah blah. anyway, ever since I got the car roughly at 75,000 miles I've noticed a slight engine tick or tap. Since then the odometer has reached 92,000 miles and the car has received a new waterpump, radiator, bakes, parking brake cable, and numerous oil changes. and yet this odd tick or tap remains present. a google search turned up nothing on this subject

Just to clarify, the exhaust system is completely stock factory original (as far as I can tell) from 1995. Someone mentioned it could be a bad cat rattling but I don't think that's the case here. Over the course of the past 2 years or so 2 different mechanics have mentioned possible things including a timing chain going bad or a fan clutch going bad(again, both of those parts are most likely stock factory parts). Honestly I'm not mechanically inclined nor do I pretend to be so I'm stumped of course. it Doesn't seem to occur when the truck is in drive (though I will occasionally notice a vibrating type noise before I press the gas pedal). I've also noticed 2 other Dakotas making the same unmistakable noise. The one was an gen 1 like mine with no engine marking on the side. The other was a gen 2 (looked like a 97 or 98) with a V6. Both made the noise while idling in park.

If need be, I can capture a video or soundclip and upload it to youtube or something to make it easier to identify.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:10 AM
codydakota
Captain
Default RE: odd engine "tick"?

It could be a valve tick, rockers, timing chain, just for starters. My guess goes to the timing chain, normally the valves and/or the rockers on the v6's don't start to tick until the mileage is higher

Old 06-29-2008, 09:53 AM
batstiva

My 87 does the same thing, but only when it's cool. After it warms up, the ticking is gone, read someone elses post on here where they said they had loose exhaust bolts, which they tightened and the ticking went away. Going to check mine today and see if that takes care of it. Don't know if this is your problem, or if yours always ticks. Mine goes away as soon as the temp gauge starts to move.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:19 AM
mes323

I've uploaded a youtube video basically showcasing the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okt1WzNsdR4

thanks for the replies. Someone had also tried to tell me it was the lifters, but like the first mechanic said it could be the timing chain

Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 PM
flyers win the cup
Professional

had a 90 comanchee with a small crack in the exhaust manifold and it sounded like a bad valve, tick, tick, tick. on my 89 3.9 the oxygen sensor went bad and it ran rich, i got the same sound.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 AM
codydakota
Captain

You could use a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint where the noise is coming from, or if you don't have the mechanics version of a stethoscope, use a doctor's one and a screwdriver as your "pointer", or a screwdriver alone can work too

Old 10-05-2011, 11:05 PM
scullman

I know this is an old post, but I have that exact same noise on my 96 3.9L. I also have a misfire on cylinder 4, opposite side of the noise. Completely unrelated I am assuming, unless it is the timing chain. Just wondering if you ever resolved the noise issue, and what it was so I have a better idea what I am looking for.

Quick Reply: odd engine "tick"?