1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

gen 1 and gen 2 ifs

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008 | 07:46 PM
morgan
|
Default gen 1 and gen 2 ifs

i was thinking about getting a suspension lift for my truck and i know trail master is the only company that makes suspension lifts for gen 1 so but tuff country makes a 5.5 for gen 2 so i decided id look at my brothers truck because he hs a gen 2 and they look about the same and i was wondering if a gen 2 lift would fit a gen 1

Old 08-06-2008 | 10:22 PM
crazypete
Rookie
Default details please

how much lift do you want? If it's only about 2 inches, maby a body lift with some hockey pucks would be easier/cheaper (make sure you have new radiator mounts in it). If it's just for looks when driving around, possibly adjust your spindles in the front (about 1/2 inch, you will loose that much in down travel so be careful). Also, call the company who makes the kit you want and ask them if it will fit on your truck, they may know. I've also seen, a dak. with IFS can only get about 2 good inches of lift (plus two on the body) on the front end without a sub-frame and some drop brackets. Any more than that might be more work than you'd like. On the rear end, a spring-over-axle conversion will add about 4 inches, but beware of axle wrap with those long leafs. hope that helps

Old 08-07-2008 | 08:44 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Im not to sure if a 2nd gen kit would fit, perfectly! I have looked under a few and It looks like it. But it may be off by an inch or so on some bolt holes and you may have to drill new holes and maybe weld a little but anything is possible. Under the FAQ at the top there are several ways to lift your truck. 3in suspention is the max you could get stock with out having a drop crossmember for the back of the torsion bars.