1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Dak needs mid-grade fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:09 PM
skase98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Dak needs mid-grade fuel?

When I bought Cosmo the Mighty Green Flake Machine, the previous owner said he always had to use mid-grade fuel or it coughed/belched/died. He just tried it randomly one time and it cleared up that particular problem.

I filled it with regular low-grade crapanol and have not noticed any problems. It only gets exercise on weekends so it's been a month since I filled it. When I took it out for its weekly trips, the Check Engine light came on.

I haven't run codes on it but there was absolutely nothing else different in performance, all gauges were stable, everything was working fine.

I'm wondering if the ghost of Mid-Grade Past is haunting me now that the original tankful is gone? Why would a truck with a manual that specifically says regular grade perform better (allegedly) on mid-grade?

Thanks for your input!

Kathy

Old 08-12-2008, 06:05 AM
fwtc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could just be the " take it to the dealer " light that automatically comes on at a certian milage. get a garage with a code reader to shut it off.

capt. jack sparrow, i don't know him but i'm thinking "pirates of the carribbean". sounds like something johnny depp would say.

Quick Reply: 94 Dak needs mid-grade fuel?